by Indiewire
June 6, 2012 10:30 AM

Project of the Day: Yes, That's Right, "The Ferret Squad"

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"The Ferret Squad"

Tweetable Logline:

Max Jones joins The Ferret Squad, a group of quirky kids who spend their summer days rescuing and fostering abandoned ferrets in California.

Elevator Pitch:

There's always a market for family movies, especially those about kids and animals, but never before has a film been made about ferrets! Ferrets are adorably cute, playful pets, but they also crave love and attention from their owners. "The Ferret Squad" is a great coming of age story about a group of teens saving abandoned ferrets in California, where ferrets are actually illegal to have as pets. It's another twist sure to bring a lot of media attention to the project.

Production Team:

Alison Parker - Director (Jake & Jasper: AFerret Tale, Citizen Heroes)

Writer - Sally Meyer (You're So Cupid, Life According to Penny)

Connor Stanhope - Actor, plays "Max Jones" (Young Lex Luthor from "Smallville", Fringe, Supernatural)

Blu Mankuma - Actor, plays "Jarvis Bains" (Harry Helmsley from "2012", Tigatron on Transformers: Beast Wars)

Sierra Pitkin - Actress, plays "Piper" (Liberty Bell from "Juno", The Traveler, Fringe)

About the Production:

"As a ferret owner myself, I really want to show the world what great pets ferrets are. Unfortunately the media has given ferrets a bad rap, as they are often portrayed only in negative ways in movies (The Big Lebowski or Stardust, for example!). The Ferret Squad will show everyone that ferrets make great pets, and help dispel some of the negative myths out there about them. A movie like this could help prevent the mistreatment of ferretsin the future, and bring awareness to the archaic ferret ban in California."

For more information and to support this project:

Indiegogo Page

Official Website

Be sure to check out our curated Kickstarter page for more information on projects we think you should check out.

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• Elena | December 1, 2012 10:32 AMReply

I can't wait to see Dylan Schmid)

• Morgan | November 30, 2012 6:36 PMReply

I invested in this movie. So, yeah, ya darn right I wanna see it. Besides, I love, love, love ferrets. What's there not to like about a movie about ferrets? Nothin'! Can't wait to see it.

• Sue Henn | November 30, 2012 3:35 PMReply

I can't wait to see The Ferret Squad. It is about time we see a movie with ferrets in it and showing how great these little fuzzies are.

• Bea Rouse | July 30, 2012 10:19 PMReply

This is such a professional and endearing short! It will make you want to get a ferret!

• Tika | July 20, 2012 11:26 PMReply

Thank you for getting the message about how cool ferrets are!

• Ashley | June 21, 2012 10:09 PMReply

Being a ferret owner for years I absolutely love this!! I think it is going to be amazing and hopefully help educate people on ferrets because they are so misunderstood

• Jimi | June 12, 2012 3:35 PMReply

I have been a Ferret Guardian since 1985. Before 1985 California Ferret Guardians have been trying to get ferrets legal in California. Their excuses are ridiculous. Our ferrets have been around hundreds of children without a single incident. Maybe a wonderful ferret movie will help to put the pressure on California politicians. Come on California time to make ferrets legal.

• Barb Carlson | June 11, 2012 4:28 PMReply

Yes, I'd like to see this!

• Angela Acevedo | June 11, 2012 10:43 AMReply

I think it's a great idea to make a movie about ferrets, because so many people are uneducated about these little guys. Any positive exposure about them is wonderful. Ferrets are truly some of best pets to have. We love our little guys very much.

• Sam | June 10, 2012 7:27 PMReply

Love to see this!

• bankies | June 10, 2012 4:20 PMReply

Hey cant wait until this movie comes to South Africa.

• Alexandra Sargent-Colburn | June 10, 2012 1:17 AMReply

These critters are so hilarious to watch, they make me laugh out loud and not a lot does!

• Raghav Kapila | June 10, 2012 1:04 AMReply

Hi i am from India and i really appreciate for your posistive attitude towards this movie and i would love to watch it...!

• Heather Yaworski | June 9, 2012 11:04 AMReply

Can't wait to see it.

• Michelle | June 9, 2012 12:10 AMReply

Ferrets are too cute to be illegal anywhere! The Ferret Squad is here to educate!

• Michelle Pacheco | June 8, 2012 9:14 PMReply

Looking forward to seeing this movie! Looks cute!!

• Lisa Ziegler | June 8, 2012 3:03 PMReply

Awesome!!!

• Dianna Stover | June 8, 2012 2:22 PMReply

I saw Alison Parker's short film, A Ferret's Tale, and enjoyed it very much. If this full featured film is anything like the short, it will be GREAT.

• Sarah | June 8, 2012 2:11 PMReply

One of my favourite childhood memories was visiting a cousin who had two pet ferrets. I'm so excited to see that these cute little things are finally going to make it to the big screen! Can't wait for this movie, it looks amazing.

• Annie Edwards | June 8, 2012 1:19 PMReply

This is exciting! I love family movies and hope that this one gets the support it deserves!

• Wanda Silkowski | June 8, 2012 11:23 AMReply

Look forward to seeing the movie! I have a friend with a ferret and she is adorable! I've seen many pictures of her and she looks like a wonderful pet!

• Cherry | June 8, 2012 10:01 AMReply

My kids love animals .We can't wait to see the movie.

• James White | June 8, 2012 8:51 AMReply

I so hope this movie will shed some light on the silly laws of states that don't allow ferrets!

Can't wait to see it.

• Lon | June 8, 2012 6:50 AMReply

My wife is a ferret lover, while I tolerate her having them. They are cute and fun to watch. I just don't want to take care of them. But, as long as they make her happy then I'm happy. I think she would love this movie. She loves anything that shows ferrets in a positive manner as they are usually portrayed just the opposite which is totally unfair based on the experience I've had with them. This sounds like a great project and I can't wait to get my wife a copy when it comes out!

• Ivan Batinic | June 7, 2012 11:50 PMReply

Can't wait to see it. Love ferrets!

• Pamela Carlson | June 7, 2012 11:42 PMReply

Ferrets are an interesting animal. It will be great to see a light hearted movie especially with
    children and their interactions with them. Maybe it will shed some light on those people who know nothing about them. Look forward to seeing the movie!

• M Stefanovic | June 7, 2012 9:51 PMReply

My son would love to have a ferret as a pet and he is looking forward to seeing this movie!

• Vik Upadhyaya | June 7, 2012 9:33 PMReply

It's a great family movie !!!

• Sandi Hubbard | June 7, 2012 8:26 PMReply

I am looking forward to seeing this film. I have seven ferrets, and they are the cutest, most adorable pets ever. So many people are afraid of ferrets, for no good reason. They are playful, mischievous, and very smart. It is good that they will finally be presented in a positive light, in a movie that the whole family can enjoy. Go Falcor the Ferret! My little ones are dooking with excitement about this film.

• kelli moldovan | June 7, 2012 8:20 PMReply

Looking forward to seeing this film.Love animals

• Sonya | June 7, 2012 8:06 PMReply

Looking forward to seeing this! Always nice to have a cute animal movie for all of the family to see together!

• Cassidy | June 7, 2012 7:55 PMReply

i cant wait for this movie to come out!! :)

• Nina Westbye | June 7, 2012 7:25 PMReply

This is a video the world really needs. There are too many people that know nothing about ferrets :)

• Marylou | June 7, 2012 7:11 PMReply

I really hope this movie gets made. It sounds wonderful.

• Leesa | June 7, 2012 6:25 PMReply

This movie sounds like it will be a lot of fun to see. My in-laws have a ferret and he is like one of the family. I would love to get t-shirts for them. Can't wait to see the movie.

• Connie C | June 7, 2012 6:11 PMReply

I'm really looking forward to this movie. I think it's great that ferrets will finally be portrayed as they really are and not according to some non-ferret person's understanding of them.

I wish them the best of luck!

• Shayla | June 7, 2012 6:10 PMReply

Sounds like the movie will be adorable, cant wait:)

• Betsi Vesser | June 7, 2012 6:06 PMReply

I will DEFINITELY watch this movie - I want a t-shirt too! We are proud owners of a sweet little guy named Jak and he is truly the best and easiest pet we have ever owned (please don't tell my dog...). I always make sure when friends come over that they meet Jak and we try to do our part to encourage ferret ownership! So glad to see this movie coming out!

• Raju | June 7, 2012 6:02 PMReply

Alot of people are anticipating for this films arrival..this is going to be a good one!

• Abhinav Kapila | June 7, 2012 4:02 PMReply

Gonna be an awesome movie. Different idea.... Best of luck :)

• Jasmine Alvey | June 7, 2012 3:26 PMReply

Sounds like an adorable movie. Can't wait to see it!

• The Frankness | June 7, 2012 3:18 PMReply

After seeing Jake and Jasper and The Beastmaster I realized the Genre needs a ferret action movie! Ferret Squad is the family-friendly yet exciting movie America needs!

• Melissa B | June 7, 2012 3:04 PMReply

I like ferrets :3

• Ronda | June 7, 2012 1:41 PMReply

Loved Jake & Jasper, can't wait for this movie!!

• Christina P | June 7, 2012 12:38 PMReply

Yes! I would love to see this movie! I love ferrets and they make great pets to responsible owners! The people of the US and the world and esp California need to know that with responsible care, ferrets can be amazing additions to any family!

• Ferret Lovely's | June 7, 2012 11:22 AMReply

Excited to see this one! We are all hoping it helps in CA.

• melissa | June 7, 2012 11:09 AMReply

Looking forward to it!

• shelley hoffman | June 7, 2012 9:17 AMReply

Looking very forward to seeing this film on the big screen!

• MJ Frank | June 7, 2012 8:55 AMReply

This is a film needing to be done as it addresses the issue of ferret legalization in CA and how it affects the people who love these misunderstood creatures. As a ferret owner for almost 25 years, I can't imagine not having them sharing my life.

• Kathleen Sowersby | June 7, 2012 7:35 AMReply

I can not wait to see this movie. I already know I will love it based on the fact that it involves ferrets and also it deals with the critical issue of California making these poor little guys illegal. Ferrets are such great pets and I hate to see them being held back from touching the hearts of some of the people in California. I believe this movie with bring with it awareness of the issue at head regarding legalizing ferrets in California and also it will bring much joy, laughs and smiles! Also this movie has great actors, I mean who has not heard of Falcor The Ferret!!!

• Patti Riggert | June 7, 2012 2:11 AMReply

I have had ferrets for about 20 years and it's great to see a movie being made that will show ferrets (and teenagers) in a positive light. Ferrets are wonderful, loving, funny, mischievous, clever and very devoted pets. The fact that they are banned in California is ridiculous and hopefully this movie will help to show that this law is archaic and should be over-turned. Ferret lovers unite! Go Ferret Squad!

• Melvin Jones | June 7, 2012 12:56 AMReply

Great concept for a movie! My son has ferrets and he's always telling me stories about how smart they are; they are like kids in a way. I never knew they were so endearing but obviously there are alot of ferret lovers out there. My son adopts his ferrets from a shelter/rescue; that is so much better to save them from being euthanized or save them from the neglected life they may have led prior. I think they are pretty cute little critters myself, and they are positively "clever" animals!

• Becky | June 7, 2012 12:06 AMReply

Can't wait for this movie! I've never had a ferret, but have friends that do, and all the stories come back at how they are so smart and lovable!! Know it will be great!

• Ferretrunner | June 6, 2012 11:00 PMReply

Ferrets are hilarious! It's so cool someone is doing a movie about ferrets and the situation in California. I like seeing a movie that teens are doing something positive also. Ferret rescues in the US are run by volunteers and generally are supported by donation. These are wonderful animals and people! Let's see this movie happen! And support your local ferret rescue! You can find them on the internet!

• Ryan | June 6, 2012 10:57 PMReply

I've had six ferrets and they are the coolest, sweetest and most entertaining pets I've ever had. That they are banned in California is based on ignorance. This is an important message to those unacquainted with these wonderful creatures. Can't wait to see this film as well as Jake and Jasper: A Ferret Tale. It's about time that ferrets are accurately portrayed on the silver screen!

• Barb | June 6, 2012 10:45 PMReply

Make it a GO for the Ferret Squad!

• Sheri | June 6, 2012 9:11 PMReply

Yes, this film needs to be made. Ferrets are greatly misunderstood. They are very social animals and give us so much enjoyment. It's time ferrets are depicted as the warm and loving companions that they are.

• Jezzy Wolfe | June 6, 2012 9:09 PMReply

I can't wait to see this movie! There are not enough real ferrets in films! They are naturally funnier than any dog or cat.

• Tina McNulty | June 6, 2012 9:04 PMReply

I can't wait to see THE FERRET SQUAD. It looks like it will be a really fun movie.

• Valerie Michalski | June 6, 2012 9:03 PMReply

Ferrets are the most wonderful, misunderstood, DOMESTICATED, pet! I would love to see a ferret movie and I look forward anticipatingly for the day ferrets are legal in California. They deserve to be afforded the same status as dogs & cats!

• Michelle | June 6, 2012 8:37 PMReply

This film needs to be made!! Help support ferrets by funding this film!

• Ashley | June 6, 2012 8:26 PMReply

Cant wait to see this movie.

• Ashley | June 6, 2012 8:25 PMReply

Cant w

• Steve Lewis | June 6, 2012 8:19 PMReply

This movie needs to be done. Ferrets have been given a bad rap for years. It's time to see how they really are. Playful & loving.

• Joflo | June 6, 2012 8:00 PMReply

Yes, think it would be great!!!!

• Dee Gage | June 6, 2012 7:57 PMReply

It would be refreshing to see ferrets in a realistic light for a change and not treated as a "sidebar" in a movie.

• Stephanie | June 6, 2012 7:50 PMReply

I would love to see this movie! It'd even give me an excuse to give my nieces and ne

• Stephanie | June 6, 2012 7:52 PM

nephew a movie about ferrets to share with their friends.

• Barb | June 6, 2012 7:41 PMReply

I would definitely see this movie! We need more movies that show ferret behavior *correctly*!

• Jon | June 6, 2012 7:28 PMReply

Yes, wanna see this movie!!!!!

• Toyi | June 6, 2012 7:20 PMReply

So looking forward to this movie.. I'd even go to the theater to watch it.. haven't been to one in over 10 yrs either.. I hate the rap ferrets have from the media, since they have entered my life I have a whole new outlook on life and living.

• Michael black | June 6, 2012 7:17 PMReply

Awrsome!!!
    Can't wait to see the movie!!!
    Meiko(ferret bro) and I ride around Tasmania.
    He's sits on the bike and love the wind on his face!!
    Ferrets rulz!!

• penny | June 6, 2012 7:13 PMReply

Yes, look forwards to seeing this project

• Mandy | June 6, 2012 7:09 PMReply

Really excited about this project and can't wait to see it!

• Michelle | June 6, 2012 7:08 PMReply

Sounds like an exciting project. Looking forward to seeing the film!

• lee elford | June 6, 2012 6:50 PMReply

Can't wait to see this movie...ferrets rule...I personally am hoping this movie Will change peoples mind about ferrets being angry creatures that Will bite you in a instant ...voided they are not ..but people are still scared of them ..It's a real shame ...so good luck with your movie ..I Will be VERY disappointed if It's not made....kids would realy love the moral of the story also...good luck ..keep up the great work ..

• Millie | June 6, 2012 6:44 PMReply

This is a subject so overlooked and would be wonderful to bring it before the public to know what ferrets are really like - not how they were protrayed in other movies but the real thing. It has possibilities of making major changes and this really needs doing. Ferrets are not everyone's pets sure, but they are so theraputic to those in needs, and to understand what a ferret really is is wonderful for both those who don't know and those who think they do.

• Char | June 6, 2012 6:23 PMReply

Can't WAIT to see it!!

• Tillie | June 6, 2012 6:15 PMReply

Yes!!! This is a GREAT storyline, and good casting. Ferrets are the cutest, smartest little creatures and they make wonderful pets. They need their chance at a piece of movie fame!

• Lori | June 6, 2012 5:53 PMReply

Can't wait to see the movie----and the ferrets need the support!

• Kiira | June 6, 2012 5:32 PMReply

YES!!! I cannot wait to see this movie! It will be a great family film!

• Stephanie | June 6, 2012 4:49 PMReply

Yay! Go Ferret Squad :-) I cannot wait to see this movie and have already contributed to their fund for the film on Indiegogo

• Andy Binnie-Douglas | June 6, 2012 4:34 PMReply

This is going to be a great movie - can't wait to see it! Ferrets are so misrepresented in the media -they are truly adorable animals - and I also hope this will highlight the ridiculous situation in California where they are banned.

• MA MABREY | June 6, 2012 4:27 PMReply

Looking forward to seeing this movie!

• M. Kapila | June 6, 2012 4:25 PMReply

Looking forward to seeing this movie!

• JWP | June 6, 2012 4:12 PMReply

Look forward to seeing it!

• Jeffery D. Jones | June 6, 2012 3:59 PMReply

Can't wait till the movie comes out!!

• Lorie Kapila | June 6, 2012 3:49 PMReply

We want to see the movie!! I own a little ferret and shes so sweet!

• Susan Jones | June 6, 2012 3:29 PMReply

Will Falcor Ferret be the next Lassie, Benji or Bart the Bear? I'm betting he will as he's got plenty of talent and everyone who sees... "the fuzz behind the mask" becomes and instant fan. We LOVE you Falcor! We can't wait to see your next movie!

• amanda | June 6, 2012 3:21 PMReply

Yes,yes,yes!! It's soooo important for people to be aware that its illegal to own a ferret in California. I'm the proud owner of 4 rescue ferrets..they are amazing! I actually moved from CA because my ferrets have medical issues and I was terrified they would get taken away from me.

• Holly | June 6, 2012 3:02 PMReply

Yes!! As a proud ferret owner, this film needs to be made to help others understand just how wonderful these critters are. :)

• Jean | June 6, 2012 2:53 PMReply

Yes! This film needs to be made. To educate people about what ferret owners in California are going through & hopefully will encourage lawmakers out there to make some good changes.

• Palle | June 6, 2012 2:49 PMReply

Yes this is a film I would show to children.

• Donna Spiller | June 6, 2012 2:36 PMReply

I am really looking forward to seeing a movie portraying ferrets in a positive light. Having seen some of Alison's previous work I am sure this will be a great movie. That will also serve to educate many about ferrets.

• Marilynn | June 6, 2012 2:17 PMReply

Would love to see this movie!

• Susan Henn | June 6, 2012 2:14 PMReply

The Ferret Squad is going to be an awsome movie. I enjoyed watching Jake and Jasper. A Ferret Tale and I am a huge fan of Falcor and Alison Parker. FERRETS RULE!!

• Beth Pastorino | June 6, 2012 2:11 PMReply

Would love love love to see this movie. We have her first film "Jake and Jasper a Ferret Tale:" and love it. People need to see what a ferret is really like, cannot imagine not having one for the rest of my life !!!!

• SpiritKitty | June 6, 2012 2:10 PMReply

I love that Alison is doing this, what her project stands for and the fact that the whole ferret community has banded together to try and help this movie get off the ground this summer. For years, around the world, ferrets have gotten a bad rap for things they're not even capable of doing, and now California has a BAN on them?! The fact that Alison is being so bold, and out there, basing the film in Cali, will hopefully open many peoples eyes to the fact that ferrets are wonderful, if not time consuming and mischievous little creatures that will not only steal your socks, keys, purse, but your heart, love and soul as well. I am honored to be owned by five ferrets; one special needs, two deaf and hard of hearing, and two normal hearing, and boy, is it a challenge! I know Alison can convey all the things that people around the world already know: FERRETS RULE! <3

• Jen Haynes | June 6, 2012 2:09 PMReply

YES! This is a film I want to see!