Highway 2
Highway 2
What are some of the greatest financial perks of filming in your state? The production incentive program (see below), Hotel / Motel tax exemption for stays longer than 30 days and Rental / Use tax exemption for production services and rental equipment. For more information visit: http://www.washingtonfilmworks.org/index.php/Incentive/Incentives/

What tax credits are available for productions in your state? Washington Filmworks (WF) is the private non-profit organization that manages the state film and the Motion Picture Competitiveness programs. WF mission is to create economic development opportunities by building and enhancing the competitiveness, profile and sustainability of Washington State’s film industry.

WF offers funding assistance for qualified in-state expenditures of up to 30% for motion pictures and television series with less than six episodes, up to 35% for television series with at least six episodes and up to 15% for commercial productions. In order to qualify for funding assistance, the production company must meet the following in-state spending thresholds:

• $500,000 Motion Pictures
• $300,000 Television (per episode)
• $150,000 Commercials

Some non-resident labor may qualify. Please see the section titled “Non Resident Labor Eligibility Requirements” for further detail.

The Board of Directors of WF may allocate up to $350,000 annually to support Washington resident filmmakers and filmmakers using new forms of production and emerging technologies. This funding is allocated through the Filmworks Innovation Lab. For further information about eligibility requirements please refer to the Filmworks Innovation Lab Guidelines and Criteria.

Financial contributions to WF raised by the tax credit mechanism in 2ESSB 5539 are capped at $3.5 million per calendar year.

For more details about funding assistance through WF refer to 2ESSB 5539 and the WF website (www.WashingtonFilmworks.org)

What are some of the locations in your state that filmmakers should know about? There is a diversity of locations available in Washington state. Please review our location newsletters on our website: http://www.washingtonfilmworks.org/index.php/News/LocationsNewsletter/

Are there studios and soundstages that the state hosts that filmmakers should know about? Studios and soundstages are available in Washington State. Please contact the office to discuss specific needs of the production (206.264.0667).

What can you tell us about talented labor in your state? Do you have robust union representation? Washington State has talented union and non-union cast and crew statewide. For more information either visit our online production resource and crew guide (www.nwfilm.com) or contact the local business agents for SAG-AFTRA, IATSE 488 and Teamsters 174.

Hurricane Ridge
Hurricane Ridge

Are there deals that you have with equipment, craft service or other suppliers to make these services more affordable? Please contact the office to discuss specific needs of the production (206.264.0667).

What are some of the recent productions that produced films in your state? " 21 and Over," "Eden," "Safety Not Guaranteed," "The Ward"

What cities have their own film commissions in your state? There are 60 film liasosn statewide, please contact the office for more information.

How many productions shot in your state last year? Over 200.

What should filmmakers do if they're interested in shooting a film in your state? Who should they contact if they have more questions? Contact Washington Filmworks (206.264.0667) or visit http://www.washingtonfilmworks.org

Interested in the incentives offered by other state film commissions? Check out Indiewire's full guide to state film commissions HERE.