by Alison Willmore
September 11, 2013 4:19 PM

'Breaking Bad' Spinoff Series 'Better Call Saul' is Actually Happening

Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman in 'Breaking Bad' Ursula Coyote/AMC

Vince Gilligan has been talking about a "Breaking Bad" spin-off series centered around Saul Goodman since last year's Comic-Con. The project's gone from something that sounded a lot like a joke, to something more serious, to something actually serious, with discussions being had between Sony Pictures Television, which produces "Breaking Bad," and AMC, which airs it.

Today, the two companies confirmed that they have reached a licensing agreement for the project, which will be an hourlong prequel series with the working title "Better Call Saul." The new series will be based on Saul, the shady, billboard-loving lawyer played by Bob Odenkirk in "Breaking Bad," and will focus on the evolution of the character before he met Walter White -- so, room for Giancarlo Esposito to return as Gus Fring?

The announcement sent out by AMC and Sony today was a little vague, but Buzzfeed's Kate Aurthur confirms that "Better Call Saul" indeed has gotten a series order, with no separate pilot being made. The Hollywood Reporter's Lacey Rose adds that the reason the announcement was made as a licensing deal is that the talent/producer deals have not been finalized, though they seem inevitable at this point.

Three more episodes remain of "Breaking Bad."

• catherine | September 13, 2013 3:11 AMReply

I expected to see some improvements in my love life after I contacted Ekaka and asked him to send out a spell to the Universe for me, but I didn’t expect a life-changing experience, that’s for sure! Still, though, that’s what I got! I’m not only in love, I’m going to be moving to my soon-to-be-fiance’s state next month! We probably would never even have met if it weren’t for ekakaspelltemple@yahoocom and his wonderful powers of peace and love. I wish you all the peace and love you sent me, DR Ekaka.

• JaneTaylor02 | September 11, 2013 9:11 PMReply

I'm making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do....

WWW.CNN13.COM

• Ed Gee | September 12, 2013 10:50 PM

So what have you done with your monthly $7k? Shoved it up your arsehole?

• Steve | September 11, 2013 9:59 PM

Sign me up! Someone who comments on film news at Indiewire must be very rich from the interwebs! I'm game, let me give you my credit card number!

• Usanga | September 11, 2013 5:12 PMReply

This is such good news, that it's unreal. I'm excited!

• viola | September 12, 2013 2:53 PM

Better Not Call Saul. Why he worked in BB was he came in short, comic relief bursts. An extended show may not carry this character. There is a reason for support characters, they function extremely well as support. That's why some comedians who do well at sketches, bomb at doing half hour sitcoms. It's a joke spread too thin.