by Alison Willmore
August 6, 2013 9:13 AM

Goodbye to 'Magic City': Starz Cancels Mitch Glazer's Miami Drama After Two Seasons

Starz renewed Miami period drama "Magic City" for a second season before the first even began airing last year, but it looks like those two seasons were enough. Deadline broke the story that the premium network has chosen not to continue with the series, which is currently airing -- its season (and now series) finale is scheduled for this Friday. The network released the following statement:

"Magic City" will be concluding its two-season run on Starz with Friday's series finale. We are tremendously proud of the series and everyone involved. From the writers, to the cast and crew, it has been an incredible collaboration. This was a story born from Mitch Glazer's singular vision of Miami, the Magic City of his childhood, and we are grateful to him for bringing it to life on Starz. The season's story arc will allow us to deliver a satisfying conclusion to the series, and we thank all the fans who checked in to the Miramar Playa.

Created by Mitch Glazer ("Scrooged," "Passion Play"), "Magic City" stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Ike Evans, owner of a high-end Miami Beach hotel, who's been increasingly unwillingly partnered with gangster Ben Diamond (Danny Huston). Olga Kurylenko, Steven Strait and Kelly Lynch are also part of the cast, as is James Caan, who joined the show in its second season.

The show had all the right trappings, including plenty of fab period beachy costuming, but never attracted serious viewership or critical attention. Starz, which also canceled Chicago political drama "Boss" after two seasons, has been moving toward more genre- and action-oriented programming lately, with the David Goyer historical fantasy series "Da Vinci's Demons" due back for another season in 2014 and the Michael Bay-produced pirate show "Black Sails" set to premiere in January.

• David | February 14, 2014 9:54 PMReply

If this show would have been on HBO it would have been a huge hit. No one I mentioned it to ever heard of it. Starz did a crappy job promoting it. Best show to come along in some time.

• Bette Baker | August 15, 2013 2:35 PMReply

I waited all week for Magic City to come on Friday night. I was totally engrossed in the one hour episode. I didn't see Season 1, but purchased it this week. I am truly sad that Season 2 is at a close. I feel at a loss to have closure with all the characters. Great series. Hope to see it again on another network.

• Debby Mart | August 12, 2013 4:47 PMReply

This was the Magic of my childhood as well and I was glad to hear my dad's character made it into the finale as Arty. I hope Mitch can find a way to continue it.

• Andy | August 10, 2013 3:30 PMReply

Perhaps with a little luck this series can rise again on another network ala 'SouthLand' etc....perhaps Netflix can have a go?...i remain hopeful.

• Argh | August 6, 2013 2:08 PMReply

STARZ can't seem to keep their drama series afloat - first the cancellation of the excellent BOSS, just when critics and audiences were taking notice, and now this.

Is STARZ simply not viable for dramas other than Spartacus? I woudl be worried if I were developing a series for the network....

• Joe | August 6, 2013 3:39 PM