by Nigel M Smith
February 24, 2013 7:31 PM

The Oscar 2013 Winners | 'Argo' Wins Best Picture; 'Life of Pi' Tops Ceremony With 4 Awards

"Life of Pi." Fox
The 85th Academy Awards have just wrapped here in Los Angeles with "Argo" taking the night's top honor.

Despite its win, Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" emerged as the big winner of the ceremony, with four wins for Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects and Best Score. "Argo" came out with three for Best Picture, Best Editing and Best Adapted Screenplay. "Les Miserables" tied "Argo" for three wins, netting Best Supporting Actress, Best Makeup and Best Sound Mixing.

As predicted, Daniel Day-Lewis made history by winning his third Oscar for his lead turn in "Lincoln." Jennifer Lawrence bested Emmanuelle Riva for the Best Actress prize. Tripping over her dress on her way up to the podium, the "Silver Linings Playbook" star wished Riva a happy birthday in accepting her award (Riva turned 86 today).

In the supporting actor race, Anne Hathaway surprised none by winning for "Les Miserables," while Christoph Waltz won his second Oscar for his second Quentin Tarantino project, "Django Unchained." Tarantino also netted his second golden statue for Best Original Screenplay.

Below, find the full list of winners:

Best Picture:
"Argo"

Best Director:
Ang Lee, "Life of Pi"

Best Actor:
Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln"

Best Actress:
Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook"

Best Supporting Actor:
Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained"

"Django Unchained" TWC
Best Supporting Actress:
Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables"

Best Original Screenplay:
Quentin Tarantino, "Django Unchained"

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Chris Terrio, "Argo"

Best Animated Feature:
"Brave"

Best Foreign Language FIlm:
"Amour"

Best Documentary Feature:
"Searching for Sugar Man"

Best Cinematography:
Claudio Miranda, "Life of Pi"

Best Film Editing:
William Goldenberg, "Argo"

Best Production Design:
"Lincoln"

"Anna Karenina" Focus
Best Costume Design:
Jacqueline Durran, "Anna Karenina"

Best Original Score:
Mychael Danna, "Life of Pi"

Best Original Song:
"Skyfall" from "Skyfall"

Best Sound Editing:
Tie: "Zero Dark Thirty" and "Skyfall"

Best Sound Mixing:
"Les Miserables"

Best Visual Effects:
"Life of Pi"

Best Makeup:
"Les Miserables"

Best Animated Short:
"Paperman"

Best Live Action Short:
"Curfew"

Best Documentary Short:
"Inocente"

• Joyce Granville | March 1, 2013 9:51 PMReply

I love the Oscars. I never miss them, Seth MacFarlane was charming and witty. But just a couple of comments overall. Why was the orchestra down the street at Capitol Records? Isn't the Dolby Theatre large enough to hold an orchestra? Isn't this the classiest night of the year for movies? Next year put the orchestra back in the same building. Also, when winners ran out of time this issensant theme from "Jaw's kept playing. How tacky can you get. Otherwise, the show was great. If it's the classiest night for movies, then keep it that way.

• Jake | February 26, 2013 5:05 PMReply

Overall a deep amount of respect to everyone who won. My Oscar Pool didn't go to hot because I typically make quite a few gutsy calls which last year turned out great but this year very poorly though I still came out w/ 16 out of 24 right. Christoph Waltz was a win that I suspected would happen considering his BAFTA win but I just figured w/ the publicity around TLJ & Robert De Niro that he just got lucky that day. In truth though the category was filled w/ worthy talent & great performances TLJ was who I believe to be the best this year out of the 5. I was however happy to see that the one gutsy call I made that worked was Mr. Ang Lee winning for best director this year! Speilberg had a lot of thunder coming in after Affleck's snub but overall I knew perfectly well that Ang Lee would win just simply looking at the complexity and difficulty of the direction of Life of Pi was compared to Lincoln. In truth not a very strong year for film as I suspected but I feel that Argo was legitimately the best film this year and when compared to the rest deserved its win this year.

• Michael M. | February 25, 2013 2:57 PMReply

Awesome! my predictions were almost dead on accurate. MAJOR categories I failed to properly predict were best supporting actor, best adapted screenplay, and best animated feature. I actually expected Hoffman, Kushner, Wreck-It Ralph or Frankenweenie to win; overall though called just about everything else correctly. Rather predictable ceremony, but extremely divisive competition. Safest bet had to be Daniel Day Lewis, but MARK MY WORDS! Phoenix WILL eventually get his Oscar, look out for his performance in P.T.A's upcoming "Inherent Vice."
    -Oh and Jennifer Lawrence, please marry me?

• - | February 25, 2013 11:51 AMReply

I don't like to use the word 'robbed' for this sort of thing, but if ever that word would apply, it'd be for Philip Seymour Hoffman losing. I like Christoph Waltz, but Hoffman gave the best performance in the category by far. It's also pretty weird how he faced much stronger competition when he won for Capote than he did this year, despite having lost.

• Michael M. | February 25, 2013 2:47 PM

I was abruptly surprised to see Waltz win the Best supporting actor! considering he's recently won and that Hoffman gave the best supportive performance.

• Nishanth Nair | February 25, 2013 11:41 AMReply

Here is the complete list of Academy Awards winner http://thefunkyzone.com/and-the-oscar-goes-to-85th-academy-awards-highlight/

• jack | February 25, 2013 10:37 AMReply

the worst oscar: jennifer lawrence (Emmanuelle Riva was the best), christoph waltz (Philip Seymour Hoffman), brave (Frankenweenie), anne hathaway (Helen Hunt or Amy Adams), les miserables (Skyfall, Hobbit), daniel day-lewis (Joaquin Phoenix), tarantino (Amour)

• Ignatius J Reilly | February 25, 2013 10:30 AMReply

Going to weigh in just a bit since I've been participating on this forum early on. Terrio, I think, stood out as the biggest upset. It's odd in this year when no film did any sort of major clean-up of the Oscars. The writing in Lincoln (though I think some parts which were supposed to be particularly effective would be better read than seen performed, ie, "immense power"), was just superior. For originality though, and its unique blend of comedy (worthy of some of the best straight comedies) and drama, and tense thriller aspects, I would concede that Argo wins there. Ebert said it best that Argo is a "movie", plain and simple, and when those are done well in this day of sequels and overpriced action mishmashes, Hollywood is congratulatory. I hate that Christoph Waltz won (and Tarantino's script for that matter), mostly because I detest the movie, but also because Waltz does not seem to be a versatile actor. I see he will be appearing in Terry Gilliam's new film, and he may fit in with another director that has such an indelible style, and I look forward to it. Otherwise, good on the Academy, and through no fault of their own and a careful study of past/present winners, I've suddenly lost interest in caring.

• jingmei | February 25, 2013 3:15 AMReply

Happy for Chris Terrio, he deserves yes.

• karl | February 25, 2013 12:35 AMReply

jennifer lawrence the worst oscar of the night!

• Bruce | February 25, 2013 12:55 AM

She just get too emotional man. I am very upset that Jessica didn't win, my brain was like being pulled out of my skull when Jean called Jennifer but I'm happy for her

• Michael M. | February 24, 2013 11:35 PMReply

Fuck yes, Ang Lee is the man! a modest man of simple words!

• adina s. | February 24, 2013 10:27 PMReply

Hathaway for best supporting not best actress.

• jingmei | February 25, 2013 3:13 AM

Sorry but for no reasons I want others win but not her.

• mikol perna | February 24, 2013 8:23 PMReply

Henry. even though Earl`s posting is neat, I just bought a gorgeous Lancia since I been earnin $6113 this past 5 weeks an would you believe ten-k this past munth. with-out a doubt this is the most-financialy rewarding I have ever done. I started this 5 months ago and immediately startad bringin in more than $72 per-hour. I went to this website>>

• chiupei | February 25, 2013 5:34 AM

Please fix link! This deal sounds too good to be tru!

• Sean | February 24, 2013 11:40 PM

What website its not showing