The results are in, and there's no doubting the prominence of "12 Years a Slave" in Indiewire's year-end critics poll: Steve McQueen's slavery drama won four out of the seven categories where it was in contention, including Best Film, Best Director, and multiple performance categories.
But many more films gained plenty of recognition. Among the ballots submitted by 240 critics listed in our Criticwire Network, many appeared on dozens of critics' top 10 lists, while others received support from significant minorities. Here's a rundown of the top 25 films that made the cut with trailers for your browsing pleasure. Check out a list of the top 50 finalists here.
1. 12 Years a Slave (Film Page), directed by Steve McQueen (2013 Telluride Film Festival; October 2013 theatrical release)
836 points, 120 votes
2. Inside Llewyn Davis (Film Page), directed by Joel & Ethan Coen (2013 Cannes Film Festival; December 2013 theatrical release)
715 points, 103 votes
3. Before Midnight (Film Page), directed by Richard Linklater (2013 Sundance Film Festival; June 2013 theatrical release)
629 points, 95 votes
4. Her (Film Page), directed by Spike Jonze (2013 New York Film Festival; December 2013 theatrical release)
561 points, 82 votes
5. Gravity (Film Page), directed by Alfonso Cuaron (2013 Venice Film Festival; October 2013 theatrical release)
544 points, 80 votes