by Steve Greene and Dana Harris
February 8, 2012 11:39 AM

The West Memphis Three: Where Are They Now? In Hollywood, Everywhere.

A year ago, Damien Echols, Jessie Misskelley, Jr. and Jason Baldwin were still in prison, serving the 18th year of their highly publicized sentence for the alleged murders of three young boys. Today, six months after they filed the Alford Plea that gave them their freedom, they are a veritable cottage industry as the subjects of multiple features, documentaries and a memoir stemming from their story.

Although the investigation as to who's really responsible for the murders continues, the vocabulary for discussing the West Memphis Three has shifted from phrases like “DNA evidence” and “miscarriage of justice” to “distribution rights” and “Oscar.”

Here's a look at the current WM3-related projects and where they stand.

The “Paradise Lost” Trilogy (Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky)
Status: Completed.
The films that started everything, Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky's “Paradise Lost” series now comprises three films: "Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills," "Paradise Lost 2: Revelations" and “Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory,” which is nominated for Best Documentary at the 2012 Academy Awards. However, despite HBO Documentary chief Sheila Nevins' initial enthusiasm for a fourth installment after the men were released, Berlinger says there will not be another.

"It is definitely the end of an era," Belinger wrote via iPhone. "I was 31 when we started [the first 'Paradise Lost'] and I just turned 50. We pledged to keep making films until the West Memphis Three got out of prison which is what has happened, so I am quite happy to hand off the baton to the next generation of storytellers whose work I hope will, along with Paradise Lost 3, force the State of Arkansas to fully exonerate The West Memphis Three and find the real killers of Steve Branch, Christopher Byers and Michael Moore. Short answer: No, we feel we have done our job and welcome the the next generation of story tellers."

“West of Memphis” (Amy Berg)
Status: Distribution pending
Over the last six years, Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh emerged as one of the most fervent supporters of the WM3 cause, financing research into DNA evidence to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Several years ago he also decided to finance a documentary about those discoveries, hiring Amy Berg ("Deliver Us from Evil") to direct the film and bringing Damien Echols and his wife, Lorri Davis, into the project as executive producers. The film premiered at Sundance in late January to laudatory reviews among both Criticwire members and beyond; Jackson's longtime manager and the films's executive producer, Ken Kamins, is now in discussions with distributors.

An untitled memoir (Damien Echols)
Status: Publication date is September 2012.
In October, new Penguin imprint Blue Rider Press announced that it would publish a memoir from Echols. According to a statement from the publisher, “The as-yet untitled book will be Echols’ account of the trial proceedings and eighteen years spent on death row, including his personal and public quest for exoneration, his prison diaries, and accounts of support from his wife and friends.”

“The Devil’s Knot”  (Atom Egoyan)
Status: Pre-production
Last fall, Atom Egoyan signed on to direct a  dramatic adaptation of “Devil’s Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three,” journalist Mara Leveritt’s 2002 account of the crime and trial. The script, co-penned by Paul Boardman and Scott Derrickson, eschews a strict focus on the WM3 themselves in favor of a look at Alabama private investigator Ron Lax (portrayed by Colin Firth) and the mother of one of the victims, Pam Hobbs, who will be portrayed by Reese Witherspoon. Shooting this summer.

A feature adaptation of Damien Echols' memoir (Infinitum Nihil)
Status: In development
Johnny Depp and Christi Dembrowski's Infinitum Nihil production company has optioned Damien Echol's memoir six months ahead of its publication date, Deadline announced today. Echols and his wife Lorri Davis will be executive producers. According to Deadline, "[Depp] and his producing partner have long been wanting and waiting to explore this story and will develop the narrative as a feature film with Echols and his wife Lorri Davis, who will be executive producers. Their collective take is to spotlight the controversial conviction and imprisonment of the then 18-year-old who’s now in his mid-30s and to present his life before conviction as well its twists and turns leading to release."

• ash333 | October 12, 2012 8:57 AMReply

A few months ago I'd have been right behind the WM3 and cheered their release and demanded a complete exoneration along with massive financial recompense . I have however recently read about evidence to the contrary and now I'm not so sure of what to believe. Pro WM3 opinion does largely seem to revolve around or repeat entirely points made in the Paradise Lost films. It seems to me now that the Paradise Lost films in essence mock the judicial system of one of the 'hick' states and bring a whiff of the middle ages to 20th century America and were very much the kind of story a lot of people were looking to hear. When I first saw Paradise Lost 1 & 2 I was horrified that such a thing could happen in the most powerful nation on Earth in this day and age and described it to other people like "watching a horror movie". And I guess that's the point. It was a story edited very skillfully to gain the required emotional response from the audience. I live in England and had never heard of this case before Paradise Lost, which in a way gave the films extra credibility in so far as it put the film makers in a very heroic light for having the guts and conviction to bring this horrendous miscarriage of 20th century justice into the public arena.
    I'm not sure what to think now but have to say that the efforts and detailed analysis gone to prove the guilt of the WM3 far outweighs the efforts of their backers (who seem to cling largely to arguments made in the Paradise Lost films) to prove otherwise.

• ash333 | October 12, 2012 8:56 AMReply

• ash333 | October 12, 2012 8:56 AMReply

• ash333 | October 12, 2012 8:56 AMReply

• ash333 | October 12, 2012 8:56 AMReply

• ash333 | October 12, 2012 8:56 AMReply

• FullMoonVideo | October 4, 2012 2:24 AMReply

In Jan of 1992 there was a high profile murder in Indiana involving 4 teenage girls and the victim named Shanda Sharer. The press first reported it as an occult murder lead by a 17- yr-old Goth girl named Laurie Tackett. Once the facts came out it was reveled that the crime was committed over jealously and not satanic cults. No doubt a nut job like Jerry Driver would have know of this case du to his obsession with the occult. I find it highly suspicious that the personality of Laurie Tackett makes its way into Damien’s psychological reports in may of 92 with the help, or lies of Jerry Driver. A time when the national papers were using such words a Witchcraft, Satan, and Sacrifice to describe the Sharer case.

Ok…Here is Jerry Drivers statement from Callahan:

I feel this is of importance since he speaks of his first meeting with Damien after he and Deanna were caught in the vacant trailer.

Quote:
    “Mr. Echols gave great detail as to what it was that he was supposedly involved in, he said that he worship um, an entity called Hecate and one called Dianna and that um, he told us about um. . . . ., um the initiation into. . , into his of convene”.

What is important here is the entity “Dianna” as this is a similar entity Laurie Tackett said she could channel through séance. Laurie called her entity “Deanna the Vampire”. And was in police reports since Jan of 1992, 4 months prior to Damien’s meeting and incarceration by Jerry Driver. So, what are the odds?

Quote from Driver:
    “and the reason for that was while he was in detention in uh, Jonesboro he uh was sucking the blood out of some kids wound on the kids neck and while I took him, I took him from Jonesboro to Little Rock to the hospital and I ask him why he did that and he, first he said it was a joke, and then he said that's how you receive's power he said I've been doing this for years”

Laurie Tackett once sucked the blood from another girls finger, or arm, (don’t remember) at a party after this girl accidentally cut herself, as Laurie’s claim at the time was she was a Witch and Vampire.

Quote from Driver:
    “I have seen all 4 of them together, Domini was with on all, with other boys to, all of them would be together walking along the interstate um, the grassy area of the interstate Lakeshore to West Memphis and I would say I saw them together probably 4 or 5 times in daylight that could tell you know that's who it was”

We know now that Misskelly barely hung with the others. But in the Sharer case there were 4 young teen girls involved. Laurie Tackett was the oldest at 17yrs and a Goth, the other three girls were ages 15-16yrs and normal looking. Why is Driver lying and saying at a later date the 4 were always together? Is it because Driver needed 4 worshipers to coincide with another supposed occult crime that previous year?

At one point during Shanda’s abduction she was bound wrists and ankles with shoestrings, was this the evidence that Driver needed to determine that the murder of Stevie, Christopher, and Michael were of the occult? While ignoring the facts that did eventually come out at the sentencing hearing that the Sharer case was over jealously, and nothing to do with Witchcraft and Sacrifice. Like most all murder cases, Shanda knew one of her killers.

Or was it Griffins who pointed such things out to Driver? As there is no way to determine what these two ass-hats spoke about prior to this crime. One thing for sure, anything occult.

• Bruce Allen | September 24, 2012 11:50 AMReply

I have been following since they were convicted and I can honestly say that I know that they are innocent. So, no, not everyone knows they did it.

• Barbara | June 7, 2012 4:34 PMReply

Everyone knows they did it, this is so crazy they should see this as an eye for an eye, do to them what they did to those poor little boys. People keep saying they are innocent, no they are not, they are monsters and should be treated as such.

• frank | August 4, 2012 1:28 AM

I don't know for sure, but I also suspect that they are guilty. Glad to hear that not everyone is drinking the kool-aid.

• Christina | June 15, 2012 8:57 PM

Yeah, "everyone" knows they're guilty...except for the millions who do not believe it's so, including parents of the murdered children. Are you privy to more information than they have? Evidence they have not been shown? Proof that's been made available to you and not those parents? One can only suspect that you simply lack the capacity to understand this miscarriage of justice.

People like you simply make a horrible situation that much worse. You're willing to take the easy way out for some godforsaken reason that I wouldn't understand if I lived forever; in the meantime, the real killer is still out there, wandering around somewhere. Seems to me that *you're the perpetrator of a particular kind of evil, one which allows the guilty to go free while you promote the further persecution of the innocent. Nice.

• Jarad | April 4, 2012 4:52 PMReply

Dear Anders,
    I can understand your frustration. When your not able to understand something then it is much easier to follow the masses. Which is exactly what you did in this case. These boys were innocent. Majority of the things that you mention in your rant are hearsay and nothing more. The reason these boys are free is the DNA evidence, and the fact that they are innocent. You fail to mention that after Miskelley admited to the crime that he had been in interogation for twelve hours. Most young boys will admit to anything after you tell them they did it for twelve hourse straight. Something you failed to notice as well is that none of these boys rolled on eachother. If you going to tell me that these three "boys" did this and none of them rolled on eachother to save their own hides is just silly. The reason they didn't roll on eachother was because they couldn't, none of them knew what really happened.

• Anders | March 29, 2012 10:14 AMReply

The problem is that the people who believe that the WM3 are innocent base their opinion on the heavily biased Paradise Lost films, which are pure propaganda in favor of the WM3. I also believed they were innocent until I started to look at the case more closely and especially the backgrounds of the three suspects.

The report about Echols mental history was 500 pages long and contains countless examples of extreme violence and sick behaviour. He was not a troubled teen that listened to Metallica, he was borderline insane. The police was led to Echols by his former probation officer who, when asked by the police if he would know about any teenagers who could have been involved, immediately told them that they should talk to Echols.

Three witnesses state that they saw Echols in muddy clothes 200 yards from the crime scene in the evening of the murders. The witnesses also state that his girlfriend was with him, also with muddy clothes. However, Jason Baldwin had quite long hair at the time and could have been mistaken for Echols girlfriend.

Miskelley had a history of extreme violence as well. There are official police reports of him beating other children with rocks. He also confessed to the murders on several occasions, even after his conviction and against the advice of his lawyers. After the murders his family and other witnesses has stated that he had cried non stop for days, which was rather unusual.

None of the WM3 have alibis for the time of the crime. Echols said he was on the phone with three girls but the girls in question do not corroborate this. Miskelley said he was attending a wrestling event but the ticket he presented was for the week after the murders. Baldwin never revealed an alibi at all and didn't testify, which is rather odd. If he was innocent, why didn't he have a solid alibi to present?

This is what I think happened:

WM3 was hanging out in the woods. Echols and Baldwin drank beer and Miskelley drank whiskey (he told police that after the murders he broke a whiskey bottle at a nearby underpass when he went home. A broken whiskey bottle of the same brand was found at this location). They were probably pretty drunk. The three kids came down there on their bikes to play near the manhole. The kids were into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at the time. They ran into WM3 who started to tease them but accidentally (or purposefully) turned aggressive and one of the kids was knocked unconscious or perhaps killed. They then beat and drowned the two other kids as to remove any witnesses. Blood was indeed found at the crime scene although the PL-films never shows that. It was probably a thrill kill, the thing went out of hand and to the extreme. 1 drunk teen with an extreme mental disorder, 1 drunk teen with a violent background and slight mental retardation and 1 drunk teen hanging with the wrong crowd but also being troubled.

Of course, if you only base your theory about the case based on the Paradise Lost films, you wouldn't be able to believe this explanation but take a long look at the case and especially the background of the three suspects. Since none of them has presented an alibi to this day, maybe you should wonder why that is.

• dirk dirkson | October 22, 2012 11:55 PM

Wow Anders, judging by your wild and vivid imagination you must be a part of the west memphis police department because this is perhaps the sort of police work and creativity to create such a scenario to prove the WM3 guilty. You really should have testified at the trials it would have been a slam dunk without a doubt.

What the fuck makes you such an expert? I suspect your imaginative storyline there is more powerful than DNA evidence and science. Or perhaps the redneck answer is to dispute science and DNA evidence?

Your storyline was absurd and hilarious all at the same time. I just have to let you know that.

• frank | August 4, 2012 1:36 AM

Good to hear another opinion. I too suspect that they were guilty. Are there any websites that build the case of the Memphis 3 being guilty as charged? It seems everything is now based on the Paradise Lost films.

• The 3 were guilty | February 13, 2012 11:47 PMReply

Many people believe the WM3 were not innocent but guilty as charged and that they were the ones that committed the crime. They were found guilty by a unanimous jury the first time. They plead guilty instead of waiting for a trial the second time.

Misskelley (one of the 3) confessed three separate times, once with his lawyer present. Misskelley also told two other people about the crime before he was arrested. Baldwin (one of the 3) told someone else he committed the crimes. Echols (one of the 3) was seen in muddy clothes near the crime scene. Echols is reported to have either told or bragged about the crime to four people before he was arrested.

Echols had a history of psychiatric treatment and psychotic behavior. His reported actions included brutally killing a dog, starting fires at his school, threatening to kill his teachers and parents and stating he liked to drink blood.

Echols' stated under cross-examination that he was interested in the occult. A funeral register found in his room with hand-drawn pentagrams and upside-down crosses. Echols' journal contained morbid images and references to dead children. There is also a police report about Damien Echols stomping and killing a dog.

Echols’ psychiatric records - http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/img/exh500.html
    about his history of violence and drinking blood http://wm3truth.com/damien-echols-profile/

From four of the parents of the murdered children
    "We are horrified to learn that a documentary that glorifies Michael’s killers, Paradise Lost III: Purgatory, is among 15 documentaries being considered for an Academy Award. Because of public pressure that exploded due to gross misrepresentations of fact in two previous documentaries, Michael’s killers were unjustly able to enter into a plea agreement, were released from prison, and now pose additional threats to society. This third documentary further insulted the families of these three boys and may lead to further injustice."

• Tim Calloway | February 14, 2012 1:08 PM

The reason they are free today is because they are INNOCENT. If the State of Arkansas still believed in their guilt, there is NO WAY they would have released them in a plea agreement. They would have fought tooth and nail to the bitter end to keep them in prison. Baldwin never told ANYONE he was involved in any crime. Michael Carson was a known liar and loved to be the center of attention. He refused to take a polygraph to verify his claims. Everything else you said is irrelevant and 90% false anyway. The actual scientific evidence points AWAY from them. Not at them.

• T | February 12, 2012 12:24 PMReply

This happened about the time I graduated from college. I too was from a podunk, "god fearing" tiny town. In high school I was one of the few who even knew who Metallica, megadeth, anthrax and slayer were, much less listened to them. People called me a devil worshipper also. I too am Pagan, and told them I found it hard to worship a diety I dont believe in. Thankfully I moved away to attend school. Thankfully I nevet endured what these 3 innocent guys did, but there are christian zealots everywhere and they are quick to pass judgement on anyone different than them. My mother is one of the worst. I'm glad the wm3 are finally out. I have followed this story for years. My teenager has recently become interested in this and is appalled by it as I was and still am. Anyone who can support what those "detectives" did to these children is ad narrow-minded as WM. Blessed be Damien, Jason , and Jessie.

• frank | August 4, 2012 1:39 AM

Blessed be the three kids who were torutured and murdered.

• WM3 i support you 100% | February 9, 2012 11:16 PMReply

susan....susan...susan.....OMG how can you not see that these 3 guys did not do this? What are you reading the judges blogs??? lol!! I am afraid that NON's should wake up and realize that these guys are innocent! I hope they make all the money they can writing books and movies the state of arkansas sure made it clear they could not sue when they took the aflord plea...do you really think they would have let a man walk OFF OF DEATH ROW if they thought he was guilty? Hell no!

• Chris | February 9, 2012 1:09 PMReply

I am on the FENCE now!! I have read, watched, heard ALOT of information regarding this case. At first I was "WOW...those three boys need to be locked up and have the key thown out. What a terrible thing they did to those babies"....Next, I was "OMG! They are innocent, coerced, scared, tired and threatened to confess. No evidence could be found!"...Then, I seen the signed document by the father and son giving the police the right to interrogate (film said they never notified the dad). Film also stated that no miranda rights were involked, but I saw a copy of the signed document! I couldn't find proof of "12 Hours of Interrogation", but I did find evidence of 4 hours of transcribed interrogation documents which also showed additional confessions (AGAINST his lawyers advise) and that he had a burger and was given the opportunity to smoke 2 cigarettes. BUT again... NO evidence linking those three teenagers to the crime. I really wish that JUSTICE can be found in this case and everyone could rest easy! Especially, the Moms and Dads of those beautiful babies!

• Pat | February 18, 2012 2:17 PM

film said dad let them take jessie to be interrogated

• Jen | February 9, 2012 11:07 AMReply

Joe, Bruce, Amy, Burk, Damion, Jason, Jessie, Lorri and... our famous supporters... HUGE VIRTUAL .... Thank you.

• Jen | February 9, 2012 11:00 AMReply

Brilliant- Any true patriot at heart appreciate the efforts of all the supporters. The wise will realize not only multiple tragedies have occurred, but also the insufficient system of "justice" that conflicts indefinitely with the product of the founding fathers and the continuous violations of our constitution. We the people are blinded by the fear, this fear only stems from what is presented to us by the media, this fear continues to deny people of the truth, the truth of our government and its surrounding authorities. As people continue to fear, the more freedom is taken from us. The West Memphis 3 are not just innocent human beings, they're now an icon of representation of how unjust and corrupted our "protectors" are. The state of AK doesn't care to find a killer, they care about money. What is the wrongfulness of justice teaching our youth of this nation? Our future leaders? When people are wrong, we face consequences, unlike our surrounding authority. How can a state be so wrong , admit they were wrong by offering what they call a “plea”, yet not relieve the victims of their entitled rights as the innocent human beings they are. We need more people to believe, fight and support what is right in the matter of justice, because it's obviously corrupt in the society of today. We must continue to unfold the truth in stories, television and books otherwise people will never open their eyes to our nation. My heartfelt thanks, praise, honor and love to all of the people involved with the West Memphis 3, because of you .... We are paving the road to freedom and justice. “WE THE PEOPLE.”

• VABrown | February 8, 2012 9:17 PMReply

I can't wait for the opportunity to view "West of Memphis" as well as read Damien's book and see the other movies. I have studied the case since seeing 'Paradise Lost' in 1998, and I have read 'Devil's Knot'. I have also seen PL 2&3, and read Damien's 'Almost Home'. I have viewed and studied the callahan website, as well as various WM3 support websites. I consider myself pretty 'in the know' about the case. These guys are innocent and deserve every single bit of happiness that they can grab for the rest of their lives.

• VABrown | February 8, 2012 9:14 PMReply

Susan is your last name Hobbs?

• Barbarajcs | February 8, 2012 9:05 PMReply

I hope these used to be kids make a fortune with their story. My heart goes out to all of them.

• Burk | February 8, 2012 9:03 PMReply

@Susan is misguided and has no idea about how things work in the real world. People like her think that there's no such thing as a false confession and that the police can't possible coerce anyone into saying something that isn't 100% true and accurate. She apparently believes the handful of people still out there who see "devil worshipping" as a credible motive, and those who deny the science behind the DNA and forensic findings. People like this can never be shown the truth because they have already rejected the science and the facts and instead choose to believe the safe and comforting idea that the police and judges are never wrong. The West Memphis Police somehow on a "hunch" were able to focus in on the killer within minutes of finding the bodies, and had "found the killer" long before they ever brought Jessie Misskelley in for his day of interrogation. I understand that this might be a comfortable way to think about the world and how it works, but the facts point elsewhere. I always ask the people who side with the state on this particular case WHY the state of Arkansas has freed these men if they honestly believe they were guilty? Was the state of Arkansas pressured by some "Hollywood celebrities" into freeing three people they honestly believe are child killing "monsters?" If so, where's the outrage? Where's the crowds of angry parents pounding on the DA's doors demanding that these "devil worshippers" be put back in prison? There isn't any outrage because Jason, Jessie and Damien are innocent. It's obvious to anyone who applies logic and reason to their assessment of the facts. Fortunately there's only a few of the "they're guilty!!" rock-throwers left out there ranting their theories about "satanic human sacrifice." The rest of the world can see exactly what happened.

• Barbarajcs | February 8, 2012 9:02 PMReply

Just want to add that a key to this whole debacle was in the HBO trilogy. Damien Echols was "daydreaming" ??? during his trial? What guilty person would do that? Obviously his young mind thought the truth would win out in the end - plus, he "dissociated" during his trial which shows that he was just another "normal" teenager, not the cold-blooded killer he was made out to be. Like all teenagers, he had faith in his elders to handle this case responsibly. Anyone (even idiots) should be able to see that much into his soul.

• barbarajcs | February 8, 2012 8:49 PMReply

The West Memphis Three were railroaded into jail by community hysteria. After being enlightened to the problems in the Police Department and the Justice System in America today, I have reversed my stand on the death penalty. Don't you wonder how many people on death row today are actually innocent, or at least not really responsible for their actions??? I do support a case by case evaluation, however, any circumstantial case implies doubt. No witness, then innocent until proven guilty. Isn't this what we stand for here in America? I also just purchased some really good metallica music!

• susan | February 8, 2012 7:24 PMReply

wm3 supporter- u will be waiting a VERY long time

• Francis | February 8, 2012 10:30 PM

****I meant "2 of the murdered kids' PARENTS"; sorry.

• Francis | February 8, 2012 10:29 PM

Funny how 2 of the murdered young kids are now convinced of the innocence of the West Memphis Three. Because they know their kids didn't get real justice and that there is a real killer on the loose. Not those three teens. They want truth. You're lying through your teeth saying you've spent lots of time on the case. No one can think they are guilty in 2012 by spending more than an hour on this case.

Unless your last name is Hobbs indeed.

• MELISSA | February 8, 2012 5:24 PMReply

Susan, you speak of convictions upheld -- hmmmm!!! Same Judge everytime!!! do you actually think he is going to admit he was wrong. Its funny that Arkansas Supreme court granted them a new trial. You state witness accounts - witness to what???? Several people who testified have changed their story and said they were lying. So Damien had some problems and was in and out of the hospital- does that automatically make him a murdered? As far as Jessie with his multiple confessions - He wasnt accurate about facts. He didnt even have the time of day correct in his first confession, and we know this since the boys and Jason were in school at the time Jessie indicated this happened. I do understand what you are saying about the Alford plea, However if you were wrongfully imprisoned for 18 years - would you want to spend another minute in jail if you had the option to get out. Do you really think if the State of Arkansas thought they were guilty that option would have been put on the table. The State of AR covered their ass, this way no one can sue the state. Just to make it clear there are alot more of us as you put "blind supporters" then nons like you!!!

• MELISSA | February 8, 2012 4:16 PMReply

Susan, you obviously have not read that much on this subject. If you read ALL of the documents you can clearly see that there is absolutely NO evidence suggesting that Damien, Jason, or Jessie murdered anyone. I have been a follower since the beginning, reading all the books, looking at all the documents including the websites you listed, This was a botched case from the very beginning. The West Memphis PD lost evidence, didn't investigate people they should have, and were feeding in to the "Satanic Panic" theory. They used underhanded tactics to get Jessie to make a false confession - interrogating him for 12 hours with only 42 minutes being recorded. Instead of trying to find the "real" killer or killers, they found three boys who were "different" because of their long hair, black clothing and love of heavy metal music. They didnt even consider anyone else... What about the bojangles man?????? - going to the drive thru to investigate. If you read everything you would know that Jerry Driver wrote a list of names and gave it to the police and said the killers would be on that list. If you read everything you would know Jerry driver had it in for Damien all along even before the killings. You made the statement about spending the money on a children's charity... think of all the money these people like Peter Jackson & Fran Walsh, among others, have put into DNA testing that the State of Arkansas wouldn't do. Do you not find it interesting that 2 of the 3 familys know feel that the wrong people were convicted. The supporters are not only trying to clear Damien, Jason, & Jessie they are trying to find the real person who committed these murders. Until the "REAL" killer or killers are found there is NO justice for Stevie, Christopher, & Michael.

• susan | February 8, 2012 5:03 PM

Au contraire, Melissa. I have spent a lot of time studying this case. I don't rely on slanted works that are made for a profit to guide my thinking or my responses. Nor do I think that Johnny Depp or Mr. Jackson have any clearer view of things than I do.
    Several of your assertions above are misleading and inaccurate. Court convictions upheld, MULTIPLE confessions (Jessie even confessed to his own lawyer - hand on bible and against the lawyer's advice), witness accounts, an admitted psychopath (Echols) are only a few of the glaring indicators of guilt for these three monsters. Interesting that they had a chance to show the world they were "innocent" but chose to plead guilty under Alford instead. I can't change that outcome, but I have trouble sitting on the sidelines and watching hollywood and some blind supporters (like you) try to make them out to be victims and, indeed, martyrs to some.

• susan | February 8, 2012 1:07 PMReply

Murderers made into "stars." Wow. Read about the real facts of this case at: callahan8k.com and at wm3truth.com then consider spending your movie/book budget on a recognized children's charity instead of lining the pockets of the misguided, misinformed and the vultures trying to make $$ off of this case.

• Marilyn Monroe | October 23, 2012 12:01 AM

SHUT THE FUCK UP You crazy redneck bitch!

• frank | August 4, 2012 1:45 AM

I agree.

• Donna | March 25, 2012 10:59 AM

Susan there are many that have no doubt that WM3 are guilty. Most supporters didn't even look over the case or the evidence. There were over 14 boards and all about 4k to 10k on each that don't think these 3 are guilty. Don't worry this is going to blow up in WM3 face. More people will get curious and will find Exhibit 500, And the boards with all the information. People hate to get lied too. This was all about music and long hair and black clothes .

Coming from just one of many ex supporters

• Tim Calloway | February 14, 2012 1:19 PM

If they were guilty, the State never would have released them in a plea agreement. Would YOU sit in prison for 2 or 3 more years if you didn't have to? The Alford plea was a way for the State to "save face" and avoid a lawsuit. BTW, how do you explain away Terry Hobbs' lies about where he was and what he was doing the night of the murders? How do you explain David Jacoby's hair at the crime scene? How do you explain away all the eyewitnesses who saw Hobbs with the boys just minutes before the time they were last seen, when he claims he never saw them? And don't lie about "examining the evidence." BTW, the State's best expert is a guy with a "PhD" from an unaccredited diploma mill, while the defense experts are comprised of Werner Spitz, Michael Baden, John Douglas and other world-reknowned experts with REAL credentials. You're either ignorant or stupid. I'll give you the benefit of doubt and assume you are ignorant, though I suspect both.

• Dee | February 13, 2012 4:36 PM

Damien Echols has never been diagnosed as a sociopath and it is time this was said. He was diagnosed with adolescent adjustment disorder, bi-polar and major depression as a teenager. He may have made that comment, but only a psychiatrist can make that diagnosis. If you can show me where in his medical records, a psychiatrist made such a diagnosis of sociopathy, I apologise in advance.

• a supporter | February 8, 2012 9:32 PM

Susan you are just jealous cause the spotlight isn't on you...Don't be a HATER!

• WM3 Supporter | February 8, 2012 6:44 PM

oh Susan, I think the one who's blind is u!!! People like u don't want to realize that innocent men have been released and should've never been convicted in the first place for this crime!!! There was no evidence or DNA to link them to this horrific crime!!! I can't wait until the real culprit is brought to justice to shut nons like u up once and for all!!!