We report theatrical box office numbers and now that viewers are increasingly watching films on digital platforms, we'd like to report those numbers as well. Unfortunately, as Liesl Copland eloquently pointed out recently during a presentation at the Toronto International Film Festival, digital numbers are not yet available. The iTunes store ranks the top movie rentals and movie purchases, But they don't deliver any specific numbers on how many people have rented or purchased these films.
Starting today, each Monday we will present you with the most up-to-date list of Top 10 (Indie) Movie Rentals in iTunes. Going forward, we hope to be able to provide you with even more information about how indie films are faring on various platforms. Without further ado, here is the inaugural list (number represents North American gross).
1. Mud (Roadside Attractions) - $21,590,086
2. The Place Beyond the Pines (Focus) - $21,403,519
3. Lovelace (RADiUS-TWC) - $356,582
4. Emperor (Roadside Attractions) - $3,346,265
5. Prince Avalanche (Magnolia Pictures) - $180,211
6. On The Road (IFC) - $720,828
7. I Give It A Year (Magnolia Pictures) - $34,657
8. The Sapphires (The Weinstein Company) - $2,450,867
9. Silver Linings Playbook (The Weinstein Company) - $132,092,958
10. Spring Breakers (A24) - $14,124,284