By Paula Bernstein | Indiewire July 28, 2014 at 3:10PM
Each Monday, we present you with the most up-to-date list of the top 10 indie movies in the iTunes store, combining rentals and purchases. For the third week in a row, Bong Joon-ho's "Snowpiercer" sits atop both the indie films list and the top movies list. "Snowpiercer" distributor Radius-TWC made the noteworthy decision to release the movie on VOD platforms on July 11, just two weeks after its theatrical release. The experiment clearly paid off with the film grossing over $2 million in its first week on VOD (including iTunes) - and now more than $3.8 million on VOD cumulatively.
Note that the documentary "The Unknown Known," which landed in the #3 spot this week, is on sale as a 99 cent "Movie of the Week" rental.
Here's the full list of top 10 indies in the iTunes store this week along with distributors and theatrical gross info (and VOD numbers when available):
1. Snowpiercer (Radius-TWC, $3,701,421, theatrical; $3,802,79 VOD)
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel (Fox Searchlight, $50,000,057)
3. The Unknown Known (Radius-TWC, $276,497)
4. Bad Words (Focus Features, $7,779,614)
7. Rage (Image Entertainment, N/A)
8. They Came Together (Lionsgate, N/A)
9. Dom Hemingway (Fox Searchlight, $523,511)
10. Vampire Academy (Weinstein Co., $7,791,979)