Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

Update: Kevin Clash's Accuser Officially Recants Sex Abuse Allegation

Photo of Nigel M Smith By Nigel M Smith | Indiewire November 13, 2012 at 5:35PM

Well that was quick. A day following the news that the subject of last year's Sundance award-winning documentary "Being Elmo," Kevin Clash -- known the world over as the man behind Elmo on "Sesame Street" -- took a surprise leave of absence from the show in the wake of allegations he had a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old boy, the unidentified accuser (now a 23-year-old man) has recanted his account. He how says he was an adult at the time of their relationship, confirming what Clash told TMZ.
0
Director Constance Marks with Kevin and Elmo. Photo courtesy of Submarine Deluxe.

Well that was quick. A day following the news that the subject of last year's Sundance award-winning documentary "Being Elmo," Kevin Clash -- known the world over as the man behind Elmo on "Sesame Street" -- took a surprise leave of absence from the show in the wake of allegations he had a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old boy, the unidentified accuser (now a 23-year-old man) has recanted his account. He how says he was an adult at the time of their relationship, confirming what Clash told TMZ.

"It was between two consenting adults," he told the outlet yesterday, "and I am deeply saddened that he is trying to make it into something it was not."

READ MORE: INTERVIEW | It's Good to Be Elmo: Kevin Clash and Constance Marks Talk About "Being Elmo"

In a statement today made to the press, Clash said, "I am relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest. I will not discuss it further."

The Sesame Workshop has yet to release a statement.

This article is related to: Being Elmo, Kevin Clash, Television, TV News, Sesame Street





SnagFilms

Watch Over 10,000 Free Movies!

Ultimate Animal Countdown: Attack: This episode counts down the top ten ultimate animal attackers to find who creates the most carnage.