by Bryce J. Renninger
March 16, 2012 9:30 AM

Vote for Project of the Week! Will It Be 'Sex After Kids,' 'In Their Room,' 'El Limpiador' or 'Smoke & Mirrors'?

It's time to vote to vote for the Project of the Week!

Vote below for this week's Project of the Week.

The winning filmmaker will receive a digital distribution consultation from SnagFilms and will become a candidate for Project of the Month. That winner will be awarded with a consultation from the Sundance Institute.

The four projects up for the prize: "Sex after Kids," "In Their Room: London," "El Limpiador," and "Smoke & Mirrors."

Voting will end on Monday March 19, at 11AM Eastern.

• Sean | March 19, 2012 1:32 PMReply

I voted for SAK based on the Kickstarter video. It is engaging, funny, and has the most promise for a film.

I don't understand what is innovative and breathtaking about "Smoke and Mirrors". The Kickstarter campaign was less compelling and I still don't get what the film is about. I also checked out some of their other work and wasn't impressed.

Anyways, good luck to whoever wins.

• Lucas | March 19, 2012 1:12 PMReply

ah ah ah, Team Lauren/Lost Girl is everywhere!!!! Go "Sex After Kid"!!!!

• Jon Hunnings | March 19, 2012 8:16 AMReply

I vote for "Sex After Kids" - great idea, brilliant actors - what more do I need to say?

• Suzanne Connolly | March 19, 2012 5:43 AMReply

Hi I'm Suzanne. I'm the co-producer of "Smoke & Mirrors" ... This age of contests puts us all in an a-typical situation for indie filmmakers ... we're from San Francisco, where we're incredibly lucky to have an amazing community of filmmakers who couldn't be more collaborative and supportive of one another ... it's all about sharing resources, crew, ideas, advice and giving one another that pat-on-the-back or shout out on Facebook or Twitter to help our fellow friends / colleagues get the word out there about their film ... the positive aspect about social media is that it levels the playing field in many ways, so indie filmmakers (musicians, writers, gamers, small businesses, etc.) can get directly to their audience ... the beauty of Kickstarter, the audience can finally get what they want (and the artist retains creative freedom, vs when funded by more traditional avenues like VCs) ... we love what we do and truly are about the art ... and we honestly would love every other filmmaker / artist to be able to express themselves and pursue their dream / vision as well ... so we support all of these amazing films and hope all of you will see all 4 ... best of luck to everyone ... cheers! Suzanne

• lory | March 19, 2012 12:31 PM

Well said! If I can, I will definetely see your movie. Smoke and Mirrors does look like a good movie. Its a shame... the arguing and insinuating. Each film deserves the votes. I personally voted for SAK... But if smoke and mirrors hadnt been running against SAK, I would have voted Smoke and Mirrors. There are no "winners" when it comes to art. Congratulations to all 4 movies, I hope your projects are as prosperous as you dreamed!

• Mitch | March 18, 2012 8:50 PMReply

300 votes in 30 minutes? Yeah. That's not fishy, or a bot at all. (eyeroll)

• Frank M | March 19, 2012 8:21 AM

Quiet Mitch

• Lory | March 18, 2012 9:49 PM

That 300 votes in 30 minutes came from several hundred fans of Jeremy LaLonde and some of the actors/actresses in the film. If you check twitter you will see hundreds of people talking about how they went and voted in a short amount of time.

• Jeremy LaLonde | March 18, 2012 9:03 PM

Actually, I think the Lost Girl fans on the other side of the world are waking up. :)
    I wonder if we're all not setting an indiewire.com record here. Either way it's all pretty flattering for both these projects. Let's turn these massive amounts of votes into contributions!!!

• Jamie | March 18, 2012 8:52 PM

SAK

• Ji | March 18, 2012 7:42 PMReply

Seriously people? I love how Jeremy and Scott are taking the high road. Why can't the rest of you? Look into how many fans Craig Clevenger has alone. It could explain the surge of votes.

• Jamie | March 18, 2012 7:46 PM

I doubt it is the Director, but proxy server downloads for $9.99 for a day which will submit continuous votes are very possible. Luckily Indiewire has software that will catch any sort of "cheating" and if caught will remove the aformentioned project from its website permanently. Therefore, anyone who may be trying to cheat for any of the films, will only serve the filmmakers harm by tarnishing a reputation.

• Gina | March 18, 2012 7:35 PMReply

No shit, eh? Something smells a little bit fishy... Sex After Kids has been getting their votes pretty regularly where Smoke & Mirrors appears to magically get this surges of a couple hundred in a short period of time. Is there anyway to look into this IndieWire?

• Jamie | March 18, 2012 7:27 PMReply

How do you get 650 votes in 120 minutes?

• Howie Cawltrin | March 18, 2012 6:21 PMReply

I voted for El Limpiador because a close pal of mine is on the product team. I find it strange how smoke mirrors has received almost 400 votes in the past hour. Sex After kids has gotten alot of votes as well yet I remember them having almost 600 more votes then smoke mirrors at 10pm london time. This seems rigged and I guess el limpiador never had a chance from the start

• JEREMY LALONDE | March 18, 2012 5:30 PMReply

Hey guys - I'm the writer/director of SEX AFTER KIDS and I wanted to say thanks for all the support, love, and kind words! But secondly I just wanted to say that all four of these projects look really great and totally deserve to be here. It's true that they're asking us to compete against each other for vote, but I truly hope each of us gets completely funded and does well. There's no need for trash talking at all. We're making art, not war :)
    The real prize is the recognition and getting our projects made - and we can all win at that. Spread the word about all four of these projects!
    Cheers!
    -Jeremy

• Amanda Brugel | March 18, 2012 8:23 PM

Well put, Lalonde.

• Gina | March 18, 2012 7:35 PM

• Gina | March 18, 2012 7:34 PM

• Scott Krinsky | March 18, 2012 5:43 PM

I'm the Director of Smoke & Mirrors. Thanks for posting this and well put. I couldn't agree more. I really look forward to seeing Sex After Kids when it is released. Best of luck.

• Deb Wood | March 18, 2012 4:21 PMReply

DEFINATELY! Sex after kids!!!!!! Go Team Lauren...you know who you are!

• Larry | March 18, 2012 2:27 PMReply

Just voted for Smoke & Mirrors which I think is the better project based on their Kickstarter video. And donated to their project too. The below comments are ridiculous.

• Linette Fryer | March 18, 2012 2:26 PMReply

Awesome cast especially Zoie Palmer. Jeremy is great at what he does in putting superb things together. He has a brilliant mind.

• Great production | March 18, 2012 12:10 PMReply

I thoroughly enjoyed the film...great work

• Roger Sarao | March 18, 2012 9:24 AMReply

Smoke & Mirrors will redefine the short film category and breathe life into Clevenger's breathtaking prose.

• Jessica S | March 18, 2012 9:06 AMReply

Interesting. The "pandering comedy" is killing it. Way to prove how amazing you are...

• Niki | March 18, 2012 3:17 AMReply

Smoke & Mirrors.

Chuck Palahniuk called writer Craig Clevenger's debut novel "The Contortionist's Handbook" '...the best book I have read in easily five years.'

Done and done.

• Alisa B | March 17, 2012 9:42 PMReply

Sex After Kids! Great director and a fabulous cast!!

• Logan Ryan | March 17, 2012 6:48 PMReply

I took a hard look at all the choices here and Sex After Kids had to get my vote. The cast, the trailer, the style all yell "You Have To Make This One!"

• Rohan | March 17, 2012 2:59 PMReply

Smoke & Mirrors! Seriously, have you seen their Kickstarter Video? It will blow you away!

• Rohan | March 18, 2012 11:52 AM

@Jimmy, at least Smoke & Mirrors is something different. I mean a street surgeon and some dude who thinks he's a fallen angel? That's something I ain't seen before. Why do I need to see another Romantic Comedy about how people with kids don't have sex when I just saw one called Friends with Kids?

• crumb | March 18, 2012 1:46 AM

@jimmy have you read 'Dermaphoria' or The Handbook? Shits amazing.

• Julie | March 17, 2012 9:29 PM

Well Jimmy - better than the pandering comedy.

• JIMMY | March 17, 2012 8:39 PM

You mean the one that was really pretentious and kept telling us how amazing they were without proving it in any way?

• Julie | March 17, 2012 4:31 PM

I took a look and wow! Smoke & Mirrors all the way!!!!!!!

• Su Wood | March 17, 2012 2:46 PMReply

Jeremy LaLonde is Canada's answer to Cameron Crowe(in his prime). Jeremy is a very intelligent, clever writer/director.

• John Dolan Vincent | March 17, 2012 2:40 PMReply

Smoke & Mirrors has a script by a writer Irvine Welsh calls 'One of the most Interesting Writers to emerge in years' and the most striking Kickstarter video I've ever seen. I want to see something challenging and innovative. Check out what @chuckpalahniuk has to say about this project.

• trekkenbeck | March 17, 2012 10:15 AMReply

The trailer for 'Sex After Kids' is fantastic, and left me wanting MORE! 'Sex After Kids' looks perfectly cast. (I mean really, can you go wrong with @KateHewlett?) I have only one HUGE request: Make sure this film is available in the U.S.!! ~~Trekkenbeck

• Dana | March 17, 2012 7:18 AMReply

Sex After Kids for sure!!!

• Rachel Clark | March 17, 2012 3:12 AMReply

Jeremy LaLonde's Sex After Kids is going to be amazing - stellar cast, brilliant writing and a thought-provoking subject with a splurge of great comedy. Everyone vote for this! :)

• Berto Martin | March 17, 2012 2:13 AMReply

Tense with thick anticipation for Smoke & Mirrors.

Possible gamechanger, that.

• Ji | March 16, 2012 10:47 PMReply

SMOKE & MIRRORS is going to be an amazing film!

• Mark | March 16, 2012 10:25 PMReply

Sex After Kids all the way. Jeremy Lalonde is the next big thing out of Canada.

• Deb | March 16, 2012 9:32 PMReply

Sex After Kids....Sex After Kids!!!!

• Sovlent | March 16, 2012 9:18 PMReply

Smoke and Mirrors!

• Rana | March 16, 2012 8:30 PMReply

Go Sex after Kids!!

• SuWood | March 16, 2012 4:05 PMReply

Sex After Kids all the way baby!

• Jason | March 16, 2012 12:53 PMReply

If you don't vote for sex after kids, that is probably because you aren't having any!!! BOOM

• Mark | March 16, 2012 10:42 PM