by Indiewire
July 1, 2011 1:51 AM

Vote on the Project You Most Want to See (There's a Prize at Stake)

This week's projects.

Every day this week, we’ve highlighted projects in the works seeking support from people like you. Below find the four profiled this week; you can learn more about them by clicking on the film title.

We want to know what project you most want to see. Vote now! The votes will be tabulated and the week's winner will be determined next Monday at 10AM, so spread the word! We will be announcing the prize very soon.

This Week’s Projects:

”#killswitch”
Pitch: Imagine if your favorite website was blocked or slowed down because it competed with the corporation that “owned” the Internet bandwidth. How would you react if your posts on Facebook were censored by the government? What would happen if independent blogs and news media became priced out of the Internet because they couldn’t afford the rates charged for a new Internet fast lane? What kind of power should lie within the governments? Should they have the ability to have a virtual Kill Switch? We find these threats to the free and open Internet to be the single greatest danger to democracy today. #killswitch the film will inform and inspire action in a population largely unaware of these important issues.

“Plato’s Reality Machine”
Pitch: The life you live. The life you dream. The life you remember. “Plato’s Reality Machine” explores the inner lives of six New Yorkers via three distinct perspectives. In the first, we follow our characters as they crash into each other in the giant blender that is New York City. In the second, each character will have their day in court, a chance to explain themselves. But are they telling the truth? Or is it just a game like…the third part of the film. Join our video-game hero as he fights his way to the HEART of Space Station Plato.

”Évocateur”
Pitch: Before entire networks were built on populist personalities, the masses fixated on a single, small-screen star: controversial talk-show host Morton Downey, Jr. Ironbound Films’ “Évocateur” dissects the mind and motivation of the 1980s’ most notorious agitator. Through never-before-seen footage, Heavy Metal-style animation, and interviews with Mort’s friends, colleagues, guests, and fans, “Évocateur” is a rollercoaster ride through Downey’s euphoric ascent to fame and nauseating plummet to infamy.

“I Am the Water, You Are the Sea”
Pitch: My uncle Alex went to Iran with the Peace Corps in 1967. While there, he met and fell in love with Ali, an Iranian Muslim man. They were together in secret for 10 years until they were separated by the Islamic Revolution. They have kept in touch - and in love - ever since. This fall, I’ll be accompanying my uncle to the Middle East where he and Ali are going to be reunited for the first time in over 33 years.

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• Timothy Holloway | July 6, 2011 11:11 AMReply

Bravo indieWire! As an aspiring filmmaker I can truly appreciate an opportunity like this one. I've submitted my indie-film project "PERIL" for review.

• tom Quinn | July 2, 2011 5:54 AMReply

Hi Dana,

Thank you for the kind and detailed response. It's great to have dialogue.

I guess I was taken aback because I misunderstood the framework of the contest and articles. Initially, I read the profiles ONLY as a way to give these smaller films additional exposure. That's a pretty great thing and, of course, much needed. I was not aware that film were submitted for competition and when I saw the voting interface, it seemed like an add on rather than part of the article series. If the filmmakers are part of the process and the prize is helpful for them then I certainly agree with you that it's a good thing. In re-reading, I see I missed the submission link at the bottom!

Thanks for the clarification and apologies for the mis-judgement.

tq

• Dana Harris | July 1, 2011 9:29 AMReply

Tom: While I disagree with your assessment, I'd be interested to hear more about your point of view. I understand the American Idol metaphor -- they're both contests that start with a larger pool and move to increasingly smaller ones -- but Indiewire isn't exactly JLo or Randy Jackson.

Indiewire is all about supporting independent filmmakers; this feature is only one way we do it. The format also brings all the films additional exposure (something every indie film needs).

Project of the Day candidates aren't selected for marketability; our editors choose them because they sound interesting, an adjective that covers a lot of ground at IW. And by opening it to popular vote, we allow readers to have their say about the movies they'd want to see.

Of course, the votes can certainly be affected by how well a filmmaker gets the word out. However, I don't think that cheapens the process of supporting a film any more than, say, developing a following for your project on Facebook or Twitter.

And while AO is a starmaker, we're definitely not. I hope that the prize element (apologies for vagueness; I'm looking forward to announcing it very soon) is something that will be of real help for filmmakers, but it's nothing that can change anyone's life. That responsibility still lies with the filmmaker getting the movie made.

All: Agree? Disagree? Would love to hear your thoughts.

• Dana Harris | July 1, 2011 8:45 AMReply

Filmtx:

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form.

• filmtx | July 1, 2011 2:40 AMReply

How does one submit a film-in-development for this contest?

• Tom Quinn | July 1, 2011 2:35 AMReply

I love the articles on upcoming projects, but feel the contest aspect cheapens the whole idea of rooting for films that still have a long way to go and need support. Each week, I feel this "American Idol" style vote is an odd direction for indieWIRE.