by Nigel M Smith
April 16, 2012 2:16 PM

Watch: Ashley Judd Speaks Up for the Elephants in 'The Eyes of Thailand' Trailer

"The Eyes of Thailand"
Actress and activist Ashely Judd made headlines last week when she took on the media for speculation over her 'puffy' appearance, inspiring people the world over to cry foul over what she deemed a misogynistic attack on women. In the documentary "The Eyes of Thailand," making it world premiere on April 28 at the upcoming Newport Beach Film Festival, Judd lends her voice to another cause -- the fight for the survival of Asian elephants.

Directed by Windy Borman, the documentary (narrated by Judd) profiles Soraida Salwala, a woman who dedicated ten years of her life to giving two Asian elephants the chance to walk again after losing their legs from stepping on landmines.

In an exclusive statement to Indiewire, Judd said, "This film is a story of sacrifice and perseverance that shows how far one woman will go to save an endangered species from threats above and below the surface. I hope it will raise awareness to protect Asian elephants—and all beings—from the terror of landmines."

Watch trailer below:

• Jane Crouch | May 5, 2012 8:36 AMReply

We can't wait to see this wonderful film be screened in Australia! Many Aussie travellers have visited Friends of the Asian Elephant centre run by Soraida and Dr Preecha, and know what important work they do in a region where in many places elephants continue to be exploited and treated poorly. This film has great power to educate on several important issues including the continued use and impacts of landmines and the threats to wildlife. Go see it!

• marym | April 19, 2012 3:20 PMReply

This is just beautiful... the filmmakers should be very proud. This is such a moving and touching story and an important film. To everyone involved in helping and treating these elephants... bless you!

• susan anderson | April 18, 2012 6:21 PMReply

I am so inspired and deeply moved after watching this trailer. My dear friend Anne Snowball is such a magnificent woman and so very humble as she approaches her healing work. I am so proud of the work all of you are doing as you shed light on this painful issue. Thank you for your work and sensitivity to this beautiful story.

• Navid Ashrafi | April 17, 2012 12:52 PMReply

check out some original indie-film content!!

• Jody | April 16, 2012 10:04 PMReply

I had the privilege of seeing this film early. It is touching and enlightening, I can't wait to see it again. Please, don't miss this.

• Linda Ann Gray | April 16, 2012 9:44 PMReply

Lovely. With all the sad elephant news in the world, it truly gladdened my heart to see this elephant with the prosthesis and the love and care surrounding the elephant.

• Mary | April 16, 2012 7:05 PMReply

Wow... I can't wait to see this film. I sure hope it comes to the Minnesota this year.

• Chad Van | April 16, 2012 6:37 PMReply

Amazing!

• Kimberly | April 16, 2012 6:36 PMReply

This is just beautiful! I will be going to the premiere, looks inspiring. :-)