by Ramzi De Coster
November 14, 2013 10:58 AM

Watch: Film Students Run Out of Luck in Exclusive Trailer for 'Misfire: The Rise and Fall of the Shooting Gallery'

Indiewire has an exclusive first look at the trailer for one of the latest non-fiction gems to come out of DOC NYC: "Misfire: The Rise and Fall of the Shooting Gallery."

"Misfire" follows the tragic story of a group of SUNY Purchase graduates who gained and then lost everything with New York film company The Shooting Gallery. The Shooting Gallery was at once a pioneer of the independent film scene and a '90s success story that delivered art-house classics such as "Sling Blade" and "You Can Count On Me." When financial mismanagement and greed got the best of the rising yet overly valued company, it fell apart and took with it the creative and professional dreams of a group of young graduate friends.

The trailer to director Whitney Ransick's "Misfire" gives us a taste of the nostalgic journey that began with rapid financial success and ended in a documentary that recalls the good and bad times of The Shooting Gallery.

"Misfire: The Rise and Fall of the Shooting Gallery" will screen Sunday November 17 at 7:00PM at the IFC Center in New York City.

Check out the trailer below:

• Dave Tuttle | November 16, 2013 2:28 PMReply

Kudos to Filmmaker Magazine, Indiewire and Time Out for putting Misfire: The Rise and Fall of The Shooting Gallery in the top 10 to see at DOC NYC. I can't wait to see it again tomorrow. Many thanks to Bob Gosse. Gil Gilbert and Whitney Ransick for bringing our story to the screen in such a thoughtful and personal way. This was a very cathartic experience for me, before I was interviewed for the project I had never told anyone how I really felt about the roller coaster ride that was The Shooting Galley. Although a lot of time has passed since the shop closed down the wounds are still not healed but this film is has helped me to come to terms with what went down. Most importantly Misfire has enabled me bring closure and helped me not to dwell on the awful downfall but to celebrate what we were and the impact our band of misfits had on the indie film scene in the '90s. This a the real deal, a very personal exploration of The Shooting Gallery, a true slice of life no bullshit story telling. Misfire is a must see for every film student and anyone who was there or who wants to know more about the NYC indie film scene. I can wait to see the film again tomorrow, with my family, the oldest who was born during our heyday, my daughter and especially my wife Bobbi who held on during that crazy ride, supporting me in the good times and bad and embracing the family Shooting Gallery. Thanks again Whitney, Gil and Bob for the blood, sweat and tears you put in for bringing our story to the screen.

• Wilson | November 16, 2013 11:12 AMReply

Such an important lesson for artists and independent thinkers alike! So glad this cautionary tale will reach a new generation.

• john | November 15, 2013 2:18 PMReply

Epic "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory," story. It's a must see for anyone who is thinking big. And if you're in film that's the game you're in, like it or not.
    There are 2 key decisions shown in the film that there was no recovering from. You gotta see the film to really appreciate how profoundly destructive they were.
    So close.

• Lewis Matheney | November 14, 2013 7:54 PMReply

I had the misfortune to get involved with Larry Meistrich who had been hired to promote and distribute a film for which I had done voice-over a few years back. The film was produced by a friend of mine with great dreams for his new film production company. My second hat was that of Co-Director of PR for the film, hand-in-hand with a group of people, like The Shooting Gallery, just bursting out of the gates and all pulling together for a common good: making this little film at least a minor success. None of us knew that Meistrich would be the swindler he turned out to be, and his mishandling of everything - mostly money - tanked the film and created a rift that eventually ruined more than a few friendships among this group of hopefuls. As an epilogue, I was at a bar some months later discussing Meistrich's complete lack of ethics with a friend when I was overheard by the mother of one of the guys who started The Shooting Gallery with Meistrich. She jumped into our conversation and completely eviscerated Meistrich with her words. I have great admiration for a loving, protective mama lioness which will always stand in great contrast to a person who remains bedfellows with greed, lying, and a disregard for humans in general.

• Peter Katz | November 14, 2013 6:03 PMReply

Exciting to see such an important chapter in independent film captured in this doc. So many things have changed since then.

• David | November 14, 2013 4:54 PMReply

I saw a rough cut of this film a while back... It's AMAZING and a story that needed to be told. We live in a world of ubiquitous HD cams and outlets as close as the nearest computer... this should be a golden age of independent film making. Yet somehow it's not... This doc is a great glimpse into a real golden age of independent film making...
    where everything was possible... until it all fell apart.
    Besides just telling the mesmerizing story of the rise and fall of the Shooting Gallery.... The film makes you long for those days.... and in a weird way makes them seem possible again.
    A tragedy of a story that makes a genuinely inspiring film.

• kevin davidson | November 14, 2013 4:34 PMReply

looking forward to seeing the final, looks interesting and well crafted.

• Larry Russo | November 14, 2013 5:29 PM

↑what he said.

• Jacques Thelemaque | November 14, 2013 4:33 PMReply

If you love indie film, you'll love this inside peek at a seminal period in indie film history and the changes it wrought. Great work, Whitney and Bob!!

• Der Rosenklavier | November 14, 2013 4:07 PMReply

This looks fantastic! I've always wanted to know what happened to these guys and their hopes and dreams and money. Looks like this doc will shed some light.

• gary | November 14, 2013 2:40 PMReply

I saw this DOC and thought it was great. It reminded me of a time when NYC was thriving with indie productions everywhere. Good stuff guys. Mazel to Whitney Ransick and Bob Gosse.

• mp | November 14, 2013 11:47 AMReply

Tragic? Ummmm - really?

• The Dude | November 14, 2013 4:36 PM

Tragedy in the story sense, I assume. Certainly the whole tale is operatic in nature....