by Nigel M Smith
April 4, 2014 2:04 PM

Watch: Ignore the Terrible Voice-Over and Enjoy the Battle of the Sexes in Trailer for Roman Polanski's 'Venus in Fur'

A year after making its worldwide debut as the Closing Night Film of the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, Roman Polanski's latest stage adaptation following 2011's "Carnage," "Venus in Fur," is set to open stateside. Ahead of its June 20th release and upcoming screenings at the Tribeca Film Festival, Sundance Selects has released the trailer for the sexy two-hander, starring Polanski's wife Emmanuelle Seigner and Mathieu Almaric.

READ MORE: 'Venus in Fur' Director Roman Polanski at Cannes: 'I've lived long enough to know I can direct.'

The film is in French, which probably lead to the company's decision to include a dry voice-over in the trailer that breaks down the set up for those unfamiliar with David Ives' acclaimed play. It's bad, but can't eclipse the force that is Seigner, who looks to be having a ball as an actress who'll do anything to nab a juicy part in a new stage production. Watch below:

• Brian Marino | April 5, 2014 10:03 AMReply

I really hope the film does the play justice. I'd seen it twice, it was amazing. The two leads in the play were just so good I am curious to see how they do it here.

• Film fan | April 5, 2014 6:40 AMReply

Honest Trailer guy should've done the voice-over.

• E | April 5, 2014 12:00 AMReply

I saw it last year - it's definitely an interesting film and the performances are great, but I think it works slightly better on stage.

• Arthur | April 4, 2014 2:21 PMReply

I knew I had seen the lead girl in this movie, she was the guardian angel in The Ninth Gate alongside Johnny Depp. Damn she has only gotten better looking over time, can't remember the last time I said that about a woman.

• Antonis | April 4, 2014 2:12 PMReply

Isn't Jeremy Piven doing the voiceover?!?