by Peter Knegt
July 10, 2013 4:17 PM

Watch: Josh Brolin In The Violent Red-Band Trailer For Spike Lee's Remake of 'Oldboy'

FilmDistrict has finally unveiled the anticipated red-band trailer for Spike Lee's remake of Park Chan-Wook's "Oldboy," which you can watch below.

The film as described by FilmDistrict:

OLDBOY is a provocative, visceral thriller that follows the story of an advertising executive (Josh Brolin) who is abruptly kidnapped and held hostage for 20 years in solitary confinement. When he is inexplicably released, he embarks on an obsessive mission to discover who orchestrated his bizarre and torturous punishment only to find he is still trapped in a web of conspiracy and torment. Co-starring Elizabeth Olsen and Sharlto Copley, OLDBOY was directed by Spike Lee, from a script by Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend, The Cell, Thor). The film was produced by Roy Lee, Doug Davison and Nathan Kahane."

"Oldboy" is in theaters October 25th, though a few stops on the fall film festival circuit seems like a reasonable bet beforehand. Until then, check out the trailer:

• jingmei | July 11, 2013 10:33 AMReply

Honestly wonder bit why everybody is so much into that Korean film. How about the director's western debut Stoker, it's also cool. Maybe it relates with something culture shock or something in exchanges. This one for me just looks awesome.

• stefan | July 10, 2013 9:45 PMReply

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE --- just watch the original Korean film instead.

• lt | July 10, 2013 7:12 PMReply

Great! another move that doesn't need a remake is remade.

• MZ | July 10, 2013 5:02 PMReply

yeah yeah I know how I am going to sound now but honestly... if a trailer can't give me the illusion that this is the adaptation of the graphic novel in a new way than it has been marvelous adapted in 2003 I won't see it in cinema. Scenes look very simliar to the korean film but don't seem to have the strenge of it. I love Josh Brolin but he has not at all the movie presence as Min-sik Choi had.
    I guess this film will be good (I like Spike Lee) but it's a shame that it needed to be done again. Oldboy (2003) was perfect in many ways and is one of my favourite movies which of course lead me to this statement.
    So, nevermind. Because of the story it will be fun to watch nevertheless.

• LeonRaymond | July 10, 2013 4:45 PMReply

NICE -he stepped totally out of his style and comfort zone and he's in there. Reminds me a lot of Only God forgives. Way to go Spike!

• Lydelle Jackson | July 10, 2013 4:38 PMReply

I would rather poop in my own mouth upside down on a dirty stairwell then watch this spicy dump!