by Alison Willmore
April 9, 2013 3:31 PM

Watch the Full First Episode of HBO's 'Vice' Online for Free

Shane Smith on 'Vice': 'Killer Kids' HBO
Vice magazine's HBO news series launched last Friday, and now the network's offering the full first episode up online for the non-subscribers to peruse.

When I wrote about the show last week, I said that I felt that while it's admirable in its willingness to go where mainstream news outlets don't, "the immersion journalism it's touted as part of its brand is also infuriatingly self-regarding, each segment informed as much by a sense of 'look at us doing this crazy thing' as it is the story being investigated." (Read the rest of the review here.)

Agree? Disagree? The second episode, "Bad Borders," follows North Korean defectors as they flee across Laos to Thailand and check in on the Line of Control between India and Pakistan in Kashmir, and premieres Friday, April 12 at 11pm.

Check out the first episode, "Killer Kids," on YouTube (it's not, unfortunately, embeddable).

• Kristina L | April 15, 2013 10:23 PMReply

Shane Smith is a badass.

• George S. | April 15, 2013 10:21 PMReply

I love vice. So stoked for this series.

• Jacob Buller | April 15, 2013 2:01 PMReply

So excited these guys have a show. I can't even count the number of hours I have spent on their youtube channel.

• Jim Koch | April 15, 2013 1:21 PMReply

I don't know of any other news organization willing to risk their own necks and really experience the trial of illegally crossing the border. Of course the risk for the reporters is less than the refugees, and I'm not risking anything watching it on my sofa, but I feel enriched having this glimpse into another culture.

• Scott B. | April 15, 2013 1:03 PMReply

YES! So excited to see this online for free. I love HBO and vice is a great fit for them. Good work guys!

• Harker | April 15, 2013 1:02 PMReply

It's great that non-subs can watch this for free. Need more information out there like this that is available for people to know about. This content needs to put out more.

• Robert Newman | April 15, 2013 12:57 PMReply

Finally. I was hoping they'd do this. Chances are this will only be live for a few more weeks (I've noticed they do that with the first episodes they do this for). So get it while it's hot.

• ViceWatch | April 13, 2013 8:56 AMReply

It's a shame that the HBO series "VICE" had to fake "evidence" of North Korean girls being sold to so called sex chat businesses in China on Friday April 12. In a quick flash of the so called "proof", a fake web page URL address was shown. It displayed a page from a website that never really existed except on a phony website based in Brooklyn in order to convince us that this tall tail was true. This copyright infringement against LiveJasmin.com (check the source code on the fake site's webpage) was done in order to make the dubious report seem believable.
    After all we "saw" (for 3 sec) the website where all this was going on! This false evidence and copyright violation is unforgivable. Check it out yourselves. A freeze frame from the program reveals a fake web page with the based on .themodernist dot com 822anywhere4.html which is on a fake website called themodernist dot com with the following faked WHOIS domain registration information:
    Admin Name: MojicaJason
    Admin Organization:
    Admin Street 1: 123 Fake Street
    Admin City: Brooklyn
    Admin State/Province: NY

If you visit this page and check the source code you will see that it was stolen from the actual website liveJasmin.com and mocked up to present a story that is most likely as fake as the street that the owner of the domain comes from. The idiots that did this and pass themselves off as "journalists" were sloppy and before they take down the evidence of this false story, go check out the URL's while they are still being served by themodernist domain. But, no matter, the proof is on the wayback machine. EXPOSE THEM FOR THE LIARS THEY REALLY ARE