by Shipra Gupta
April 9, 2014 2:22 PM

Watch: Zach Braff's 'Wish I Was Here' Teaser is Full of Hipster-Indie-Magic

Focus Features has released the first teaser trailer for Zach Braff's crowd-funded feature "Wish I Was Here." Focus acquired the film at Sundance for a reported $2.75 million.

"Wish I Was Here" is a coming-of-age story focused on Aidan Bloom, a 35-year-old actor played by Braff, whose career struggles have made it difficult for him to support his wife and children. When Bloom's sick father can no longer pay the tuition for his children's private school, Bloom reluctantly agrees to homeschool them. As Bloom embarks on this journey to teach his own children, he also begins to learn a lot about himself. Kate Hudson and Mandy Patnikin co-star as Bloom's wife and father, respectively.

Set to The Shins' "Simple Song" -- a track "How I Met Your Mother" fans will probably recognize from the season eight finale -- the trailer is a collection of the film's most powerful visual and emotional moments, edited in such a way that they leave the viewer curious and anxious for more.

Well played, Focus. Well played.

"Wish I Was Here" is slated to release in theaters on July 18. Watch the trailer below:

• jfreaksss | July 17, 2014 12:29 PMReply

COPY LINK AND WATCH FULL MOVIE ONLINE HD>>> tinyurl. com/kgqk5ul

COPY LINK AND WATCH FULL MOVIE ONLINE HD>>> tinyurl. com/kgqk5ul

COPY LINK AND WATCH FULL MOVIE ONLINE HD>>> tinyurl. com/kgqk5ul

• Bobby | April 13, 2014 1:27 AMReply

This trailer is very poor.
    The beginning moment is hackneyed and trite, and lacks no emotion. Any emotion in the rest of the trailer comes from the song and not the images.
    I was a fan of "Scrubs" and "Garden State", so I am not just some Braff hater trying to be negative. I just thought artists were supposed to grow, not pander to their fans to an extent they become a mockery of themselves.
    I agree.... This looks like a satire sketch of meaningful hipster indie film.
    Real human pathos beats self-referential gimmicks any day of the week.

• leonard | April 11, 2014 2:42 PMReply

It's hard to believe this trailer is not an SNL satirical send up of 'trying to hard' indie emo films.

• Jakie | April 10, 2014 8:20 PMReply

"Hipster indie magic"? Really? Way to compose intellectually stimulating journalism, guys.

• Kay | April 9, 2014 10:20 PMReply

Looks like Garden State 2, which is not necessarily a bad thing, I just hope it is more than that--even if it is not I won't feel that bad. I'll admit I threw down a few hundred dollars of my own money to Kickstarter to help a bit of nostalgia because his previous effort came out at a time I was feeling as his protagonist.

• ian | April 9, 2014 9:06 PMReply

i'd say i hope this shit flops but there's no ones money to lose anyway. and really, the Shins again? self hacky.

• agree with below | April 9, 2014 2:38 PMReply

screw this stupid movie.

• lilililil | April 9, 2014 3:09 PM

You have been reported for abuse.

• Indie or Die | April 9, 2014 2:33 PMReply

screw this movie, boycott it - keep the hollywood elite away from stealing indie dollars away from those who need it and who cant make their own films themselves

• ugh | April 9, 2014 3:45 PM

he was getting 350K per episode of scrubs for the last few years. that's not "indie" elite. that's straight up elite.

• Realist | April 9, 2014 3:01 PM

Really Zach Braff the hollywood elite. He's more indie elite.

Here's something for you. Your indie film would NEVER have gotten that money from the same people as Braff did.

In fact I bet if he hadn't even attempted his campaign. Most of those people wouldn't even have bothered to check out Kickstarter or attempt any sort of crowd funding.

Those poor indies who can't make movies themselves really need to smarten up. If they can't learn to be build their audience and be persuasive enough to convince people to support their work, then they need to do without it.

Learn to compete.