by Godfrey Cheshire
June 10, 2013 10:38 AM

Why 'Mud' Is the Best Southern Film in Years

With grosses approaching $20 million and still going strong, the breakout box-office success of Jeff Nichols' "Mud" seems to have surprised many people. But reading The Wrap's report that the film "has played very strongly in the South" surprised me not at all, because "Mud" is the best Southern film I’ve seen in ages.

The following definition of that crucial term is my own. There are many films set in the South and many shot there. But the kind of Southern film I'm talking about is one that engages and reflects aspects of Southern culture that Southerners recognize as true and meaningful to their own experience and sense of the region.

I've been thinking about this cinematic species ever since I was a teenager, and in seeing "Mud" I was again conscious of watching a film with a kind of double vision. My view as a film critic (one who now lives in New York City, incidentally) saw it as a clever, complex and expertly mounted coming-of-age-cum-suspense film. I'm pretty sure I would have liked it a great deal if I hailed from Spokane.

My view as a native Southerner, though, added value to what the critic saw: Because the film enraptured me with people, places, themes and events very resonant with my own upbringing, I took it personally in a way that escorted me past merely liking it a great deal. I started saying to friends, "I love this film."

I started saying to friends, "I love this film."
For Southerners, such identification is common when it comes to the work of literary greats like Faulkner and Welty and more recent writers such as Pat Conroy and Alan Gurganus. In a film like "Mud," made with an obvious awareness of the South's literary traditions, there are attractions on every possible level of meaning -- from the mundane to the mythic.

What could be more mundane, after all, than the ground beneath your feet: that dirt, or if you’re near the water (as this film always is), that mud? If Southern lit is known for being rooted in a "sense of place," the locale evoked by Nichols couldn't be more specific: It's a stretch of Arkansas river where the protagonist, 14-year-old Ellis (Tye Sheridan), lives in a ramshackle residence with his quarrelsome parents.

As always in Southern lit, this place isn't just geographic or anthropological fact; because it connotes "home" and identity, it is suffused with history and feeling. For Ellis, when the film opens, that home is a locus of crisis because it is threatened from both without and within: Even as the River Authority is poised to condemn the house, his parents seem to be slip-sliding toward breakup.

• Westley | January 26, 2014 12:10 AMReply

Honestly, this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. If you are reading this wondering if you should check it out, please don't...just saying I warned you

• anni | June 15, 2013 6:37 AMReply

if we completely ignore the role of women in this movie - what most male viewers and reviewers do anyway - it might be a good movie to some. otherwise it is misogynist crap.

• VMac | June 10, 2013 5:42 PMReply

We down here below the Mason-Dixon Line are all a'flutter about this fantastic film. Your review is extremely well written and I appreciate the lack of cultural and geographic ignorance when it comes to discussing "The South." As a resident of coastal NC who grew up/lived near where "Mud" was filmed, I celebrate films such as this (and Beasts of the Southern Wild) for their honesty and integrity. Thank you for your review. Well done. The Dead Mule School of Southern Literature salutes you!

• serpico | June 10, 2013 2:12 PMReply

At least someone on Indiewire speaks highly of this movie. Fricken Playlist for some reason discarded it. Then again, it's painful to listen to those guys discuss & interrupt a Terrence Malick film, so their opinion has little value for me.

• Rene Broussard | June 10, 2013 12:45 PMReply

Excuse me, but hello - BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD! Lest we forget!

• ribbitt | June 13, 2013 1:16 AM

Well, Beasts of te Southern Wild was made by transplants from NY who moved to New Orleans. They just applied the Southern aesthetic they learned from books and other films mixed with a little Gilliam, Kusterica, and Malick. It was a good movie for sure. I guess Mud pretty much did the same in it's own way, but the director is from Arkansas. How much was drawn from his own experiences is questionable. He probably knew people like his characters to some degree, atleast.

• yes | June 10, 2013 12:53 PM

You mean a southern film has to include Blacks?...what do Blacks have to do with the history and mythology of the South?...lol