Random notes from an Austin film scene…
– Big congratulations to screenwriter Mike Jones and his wife Maya, as they welcomed their first son, August Churi Jones, this weekend. Baby and mother are doing great.
– This past weekend, recent Austin transplant Janet Pierson was elected to the board of the Austin Film Society. Not bad for less than a couple of weeks in town with her husband John and family.
– The SXSW Summer Cinema Series is underway. We had some big crowds turn out for the first film, Barbecue: A Texas Love Story. This week, the series continues with the political documentary, Bush’s Brain.
– I was able to live out the fantasy of many audiophiles: writing liner notes. I handed in some paragraphs to Film Movement the other day to be used in the DVD booklet for their upcoming release, Falling Angels. The film, directed by Scott Smith, had its U.S. premiere at SXSW 2004 and was recently acquired by the New York-based distributor. The release is scheduled for later this year.
– Production is underway on The King, starring Gael Garcia Bernal, Laura Harring, William Hurt, and more. They’re scheduled to be shooting around Austin for the next month or so.
– I had lunch with Tom and Carolyn of Burnt Orange Productions, as well as Dot director/producer team Jamie Babbit and Andrea Sperling. Jamie and Andrea are still in the middle of pre-production, but shooting should begin in the next few weeks. Meanwhile, Andrea’s Sundance film, D.E.B.S. will open this year’s Austin Gay and Lesbian International Film Festival at the end of this month.