Last night, the Austin Film Society hosted a benefit screening of the upcoming Paramount Pictures release Sahara. The film’s star, Austin’s own Matthew McConaughey, hosted the screening at the Paramount Theater… some things you missed, even if you were there…
1. McConaughey receiving a special gift (a set of bongos) from the City of Austin prior to his introduction. The bongos were a nod to his infamous nude Austin arrest a few years back.
2. Steve Zahn typecast once again as the wacky sidekick… but, does anyone do it better?
3. During one action sequence set in Africa, was it really appropriate to use the Steppenwolf song “Magic Carpet Ride?”
4. The realization that the film’s director, Breck Eisner (who was also in attendance), has a very famous father named Michael who runs a very famous company called Disney.
5. The after-party on the rooftop of Speakeasy, featuring Austin’s Pizza, Matthew’s mom, and the whole team from McConaughey’s J.K. Livin production company.
6. The two most uttered words following the screening? “Indiana Jones.”
7. The second-most uttered words following the screening? “It was a lot of fun.”