Straight today from IFP in New York, announcing applications for their “emerging narrative program”:
Emerging Narrative Program Alumni:
Recent Emerging Narrative filmmakers include: Rodney Evans (dir, Brother to Brother), Nicole Kassell (dir, The Woodsman), Seith Mann (dir, “Grey’s Anatomy,” “The Wire”), Alice Wu (dir, Saving Face).
Criteria & Selection Process
U.S. projects only. 40 screenplays accepted. Priority given to projects where the writer is also the director or there is a director attached. Projects will be selected on artistic merit and the potential of the project to benefit from the Emerging Narrative program.
Cash Award Eligibility
A juried cash grant of $5,000 will be presented to a project in the Emerging Narrative section at the annual awards luncheon. Award solely based on artistic merit and originality of voice.
What to Expect Before the Emerging Narrative Program at IFP Market
– In-person or phone consultation over the summer with script consultant ensures the possibility of completing any revisions prior to IFP Market.
– As most agencies and production companies don’t accept unsolicited material, inclusion in the Emerging Narrative Script Dossier ensures that information about you and your project goes directly into the right hands. IFP targets approximately 250 such companies – irrespective of their attendance at the IFP Market.
What to Expect During the Emerging Narrative Program at IFP Market
– Pre-scheduled one-on-one meetings with producers provide filmmakers the opportunity to present their scripts at an early stage of development. All meetings scheduled at producer’s request based on information provided in the Emerging Narrative Script Dossier. (new)
– Roundtable discussions with festival programmers, agents and development executives expose filmmakers to marketplace trends and expand business relationships. (new)
– Acceptance includes full registration to the five-day Filmmaker Conference, which runs concurrent with the IFP Market.
About the IFP Market
The IFP Market is a national program connecting projects with financiers, producers & programmers before they’re completed & on the festival circuit. More than 1,000 industry professionals attend the IFP Market for pitch & speed dating meetings, screenings, and social events. 200 projects are invited to participate (50% docs; 50% narrative screenplays) and take one-on-one pitch meetings with potential financing partners or co-producers. In 2006, more than 1,800 pitch meetings were arranged with buyers.
For more information and applications to the Emerging Narrative program and IFP Market, log on here.