I’m trying to withhold judgement until I actually see the damn thing (though, honestly, these reviews are really making reconsider that plan. I mean, care of New York Magazine: “The most depressing thing about Sex and the City 2 is that it seems to justify every nasty thing said and written about the series and first feature film”), but it seems like if I manage to make it this weekend, I won’t be alone. Horrific reviews be damned, Fandango.com says the sequel is tracking higher than the original, and a survey they conducted of folks who have bought tickets give us some arguably interesting additional information:
As of 11:30 a.m. PT, SATC 2 is responsible for a dominant 81 percent of daily sales on Fandango. The ticketing site also conducted a survey to gauge the level of enthusiasm for the sequel:
• 94% of the Fandango SATC 2 survey respondents are women.
• 79% of fans will see the movie with a group of women, while only 7% said they’re bringing a date.
• 76% said that the movie represents a “great escape.”
• 75% plan to attend a SATC 2 get-together before or after the movie.
• 53% plan to dress up for the occasion.
• 52% plan to drink Cosmos before and/or after the movie.
What percentage are apprehensive, jaded twentysomething gay men who will probably be going alone on a Sunday afternoon?