BRIDESMAIDS! I thought it was just going to be a preview of part of it, but I guess they played the whole thing last night in Austin. And everyone is saying it’s awesome. ie Paul Brunick – writing for indieWIRE at the fest – via his facebook status:
“SxSW Film has totally redeemed itself with the premiere screening of Kristen Wiig and (producer) Judd Apatow’s hilarious new comedy BRIDESMAIDS. Basically a distaff version of THE HANGOVER–but much much funnier and less morally offensive.”
And then New York Magazine ran this article that works as “A Five-Quote Sampler of Bridesmaids’ Dirtiest Jokes.” It begins:
Ever since the release of the trailer for Bridesmaids, the female-centric answer to The Hangover — starring Kristen Wiig as a bridesmaidzilla who goes nutjob when her best friend (Maya Rudolph) gets engaged — it was clear that the movie would play with women. But would it attract any men? Judging from its work-in-progress screening late last night at SXSW, it looks like the Judd Apatow–produced nasty-funny comedy will be crude and dirty enough to play to both genders.
The film opens with a hysterical, spazzily gymnastic sex scene between Wiig and Jon Hamm, and the script, by Wiig and Groundlings comic Annie Mumolo, is wickedly filthy. Though it would be no surprise if some of the jokes got cut out before the film hits theaters on May 13, last night’s viewing saw a rapid-fire assault of gags involving masturbation, farts, anal-bleaching, and self-debasement. And all that pales next to one epic food-poisoning sequence, in which all but one of the bridesmaids ends up sweatily suffering from explosive diarrhea and vomiting in the middle of a posh bridal boutique. We’ll review the film in its finished form when it opens, but for now, here are five choice lines that should give an indication of just how blue Bridesmaids plays.
If you want to spoil yourself and learn the five choice lines… head after the jump… These are clearly going to be my personal catchphrases of summer 2011.
1. “I want balls in my face.” A bridesmaid’s request for the bachelorette.
2. “Sometimes, I just want to watch The Daily Show without him entering me.” A married bridesmaid’s lament.
3. “We had an adult sleepover,” Wiig says to Rudolph. Rudolph: “Did you let him sleep over in your mouth?” Wiig: “Well … he kept putting it around my face.”
4. “There’s sperm everywhere … I cracked a blanket in half.” A bridesmaid, describing life with her adolescent sons.
5. “I just took a shit in the middle of the street.” Maya Rudolph, delivering a line no other leading lady has ever delivered