News flash: Celebrities sell magazines. AdWeek reports the ten best-selling magazine covers last year:
1. Sandra Bullock (7.4 million copies, People)
2. Dr. Oz (7m, Women’s World)
3. Angelina Jolie (5m, Vanity Fair)
4. Bachelor Jake (3.6m, Us)
5. Royal Wedding (3.2m, Life & Style)
6. Lady Gaga (2.8m, Cosmopolitan)
7. Teen Mom (2.75, OK)
8. The Kardashians (2.7m, In Touch)
9. Jennifer Aniston (2.6m, Bazaar)
10. The Twilight Series, including Taylor Lautner and Kellan Lutz (2.4m, Men’s Health).
So what does this tell us about Americana in the year 2010?
For a wee bit of 2010 context: Time‘s round-up of the top ten world news stories include the Haiti Earthquake, WikiLeaks, Chilean Miners, Pakistan Floods, North Korea’s “year of bad behavior,” South Africa’s World Cup, Yemen: New Front on war on Terrorism, European Austerity Measures, Mexico’s Drug War and Thailand’s red shirts. Time’s recount of US News stories includes the BP oil spill, the Rise of the Tea Party, Obama’s “quagmires” (health care & economy), Islamaphobia, McChrystal and the war in Afghanistan, Arizona’s Immigration Law, US-China tension, the iPad and the Supreme Court siding with Citizens United.