E! has compiled a list of the 100 Best Things in Pop Culture. It’s a broad spectrum that includes some things we’d rather include on a list of the Worst Things About America, Those Responsible for The Degradation of Our Culture, Reasons Why I’m Moving Into a Cave, et cetera. But let’s focus on the positive and consider the top ten they got right (as ranked by us) in our addendum/reworking of their list.
10. The Resurrection of Fiona Apple (E! #96): The anti-Katy Perry, back with a vengeance and the only one who can pull off a squid on her head.
9. Chris Hemsworth’s Hair (E! #31): “Thor” is based on his hair’s superpower, right?!
8. Breaking Bad, Still at It (E! #53) – Quality TV from intelligent, complex writing, brought to life by fantastic actors like Bryan Cranston and Anna Gunn! Yes! Keep it coming.
7. Hillary Clinton in Sunglasses (E! #13): More specifically, pictures of Hillary Clinton in Sunglasses on the Texts from Hillary tumblr blog.
6. Lena Dunham (E! #19): It may not be pretty or entirely accurate, but “Girls” is participating in and fueling a necessary conversation about a generation of privileged would-be adults who lack direction, accountability and meaningful examples of how the fuck to grow up in 2012 America.
5. Jessica Chastain (E! #32): For embodying the rare combination of talent, sex appeal, grace, class, intelligence and natural beauty. The opposite of Kim Kardashian.
3. Leo DiCaprio’s work ethic (E! #57): The man has been nominated for three Oscars and arguably deserved a few more. He is one of those actors who should have a golden statue or two at home, but doesn’t. Not yet. He’s never given a lazy performance and by the looks of their trailers, delivers two more knockouts in “The Great Gatsby” and “Django Unchained.”
2. Michael Fassbender’s Face (E! #84): It’s not just because it’s so pretty. It can also look ugly. And sexy. And even hilarious. It didn’t even need a body attached to it in the final act of “Prometheus” to steal the show.
1. Girls with Arrows (E! #5) – “The Hunger Games”‘ Katniss Everdeen, “Brave”‘s Merida and “Game of Thrones”‘s Arya Stark – redefining girlhood one phallic arrow at a time!
Ok, fine, one of them is included sarcastically.