Columbia Records has announced that it will release 20 Feet From Stardom: Music From The Motion Picture, the soundtrack from the compelling new documentary feature from award-winning director Morgan Neville on June 18.
Among the songs included on the album is a new recording of the classic song Lean On Me, featuring Darlene Love, as well as an original song, Desperation performed by The Voice finalist Judith Hill.
The iconic Rolling Stones song Gimme Shelter, is performed by Merry Clayton, a rare recording from her 1971 debut album of the same name.
Along with rare archival footage and a peerless soundtrack, the film boasts intimate interviews with Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, Mick Jagger and Sting to name just a few. However, these world-famous figures take a backseat to the diverse array of backup singers whose lives and stories take center stage in the film.
Although these singers are usually relegated to the margins, and few, if any, become household names, their work has defined countless songs that remain in our hearts and collective consciousness. 20 Feet from Stardom juxtaposes the interviews with industry legends and the relative unknowns who support them like Darlene Love , Merry Clayton , Lisa Fischer , and Judith Hillas they illuminate the art of melding their own distinct voices with lead vocals and reveal their desires for careers as solo artists. It is a celebration of the voices from the edge, which brought shape and style to the soundtracks of our lives. The film traces the backup singers’ history from the Phil Spector produced pop tunes and soul-inspired British Explosion acts ( Joe Cocker , the Rolling Stones) of the 1960s, to their reversal of fortune when the recording industry changed in the 1990s, and into today. Filmmaker Morgan Neville ‘s unprecedented look at the moving personal journeys of these normally uncelebrated artists pays tribute to their indelible role in popular music.
The film is set to open in select theatres on June 14 before expanding in the weeks to follow.
Here’s the track listing for the film’s soundtrack:
- “Walk On the Wild Side” performed by Lou Reed
- “Slippery People” performed by Talking Heads
- “Nobody’s Fault But Mine” performed by Merry Clayton featuring Oren Waters , Judith Hill , Tata Vega and Charlotte Crossley
- “He’s a Rebel” performed by the Crystals
- “Space Captain” performed by Joe Cocker from the film “Mad Dogs and Englishmen”
- “Gimme Shelter” performed by Merry Clayton
- “Sure On This Shining Night” performed by Lisa Fischer
- “Let’s Make The World A Better Place” performed by Tata Vega and Judith Hill
- “Young Americans” performed by Davie Bowie
- “Southern Man” performed by Merry Clayton
- “Desperation” performed by Judith Hill
- “Fine Fine Boy (with intro rehearsal)” performed by Darlene Love
- “Lean On Me” performed by Darlene Love featuring Lisa Fischer , Jo Lawry , and Judith Hill