1. Award Season Screenplays Online: “August: Osage County,” “Philomena” and “Nebraska” are the three latest screenplays available out of this year’s crop of buzzed about films. There are 32 scripts in total available to download as PDFs over at “Go Into the Story,” the Black List blog.
2. Mobile Movie Making: The first film shot on an iPhone is becoming a reality — or at least,
the first union, full-length narrative feature film to be shot with the
iPhone 5s. Director Brian Kowalchuk announced that he’ll shoot “Ode”
on an iPhone, under a SAG-AFTRA Ultra Low Budget production contract. But is mobile filmmaking the end of film or the way of the future? Read Indiewire’s report on mobile filmmaking here.
3. Slamdance Trailer Competition: To celebrate Slamdance’s 20th anniversary, MixBit, a collaborative video app developed by the co-founders of YouTube, has created a trailer competition for all filmmakers accepted into the
festival. All trailers will be remixable by the MixBit
community, allowing a collaboration between filmmaker and
audience. The 10 best trailers will be featured on MixBit.com
and before select screenings during the Slamdance Film Festival. In
addition, Chad Hurley, co-founder of MixBit & YouTube, will present
the Grand Prize Winner with a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. Find out more here.
4. “Side by Side” on Kodak: Producers Keanu Reeves and Justin Szlasa have chosen to create a film element of their feature documentary “Side by Side” on KODAK VISION3 Color Digital Intermediate Film
2254, which is ironic because the film, which recently aired on PBS after a successful festival run in 2012, is all about the evolution from film to digital formats. “We took a deep dive into the evolution of filmmaking technology and
spoke to hundreds of artists and filmmakers to make this documentary,” Reeves said in a statement. “What we took away is that, right now, film is the only
archival medium that is truly proven. We’d like ‘Side by Side’ to be available for future generations, and we think creating film elements is the best way to do that.”
5. Amanda Palmer: If you’re in L.A., check out Amanda Palmer’s A TOTAL DISRUPTION SOIRÉE on December 15th at the Echoplex in Los Angeles. Palmer will be joined by DJ Diabetic (a.k.a. renowned graphic artist, Shepard Fairey). Reddit co-founder, author and Internet activist Alexis Ohanian will be there too, telling stories from the tech front. A TOTAL DISRUPTION will premiere exclusive shorts about all of these creators. The benefit will raise the funds to build out ATD’s online
search and discovery platform in order to make hundreds of hours of
interview footage with innovators available as an open online resource. The event will also feature a live auction
with radical offerings from Andrew Bird, Amanda Palmer, Mark Suster,
Josh Harris, Tim Chang, Shepard Fairey and more.
Sign Up: Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Sign up for our Email Newsletters here.