Last summer, just a few days before “The Conjuring” opened, New Line got the ball rolling on a sequel and now, as is often the case nowadays, the studio has staked out some nice real estate for itself in the not-too distant future.
According to Box Office Mojo, “The Conjuring 2”—or whatever it ends up being called—has nabbed a release date twenty months away on October 23, 2015. The studio has the plum Halloween-adjacent release window all to itself so far, with Guillermo Del Toro‘s haunted house flick “Crimson Peak” opening the week before. Either way, given that the original film tallied up $318 million worldwide during a busy and crowded summer, the studio accountants must love what the added elbow room will do for their bottom line, though there’s plenty of time for competition to get into the mix.
In other genre sequel news, the long-awaited and long-delayed Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller co-directed “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For” has undergone a name change. According to Bleeding Cool, the sequel will instead be titled “Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame to Kill For,” a change that has been left unexplained but is no doubt meant to echo the marketing for the first film which was advertised as “Frank Miller’s Sin City” despite it not being the official title. Whatever the reasoning behind the change, “Frank MIller’s Sin City: A Dame to Kill For” finally hits theaters late this summer on August 22nd.
And it would appear thoughts are already percolating for a third installment, Den Of Geek points out. Hitting SiriusXM recently Rodriguez teased: “[Miller] watched Part 2—he watched it last night with me and then at the end he said, he didn’t have any comments, he was very happy with it. And he said, now about part three…. Started telling me how he’s going to do part three. So he’s already there on part three.”
So there you go. If ‘Dame’ goes well, we presume Miller will have more pulp stories he wants to tell.