The Producers Guild of America (PGA) and Cadillac are launching Make Your Mark, a short-film competition open to producers nationwide. A segment of the winning producer’s short –with producer’s credit–will air on ABC TV as part of a national Cadillac :30 Oscar spot on February 22, 2015. A registration fee of $100 goes to the Producers Guild Foundation, a 501 (c) (3) charity; only the first 500 entries will be accepted.
The competition honors the work of the late great Saul Zaentz (“The English Patient,” “Amadeus,” “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”). “I’m sure that the work that comes out of this competition would make Saul proud,” said “Cuckoo’s Nest” producer Michael Douglas, who joins short competition judges Kathy Bates (“At Play in the Fields of the Lord”), Danny DeVito (“One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”), PGA president Hawk Koch (“Source Code”), Gary Lucchesi (“The Lincoln Lawyer”), Lori McCreary (“Invictus”), and Chris Moore (“Good Will Hunting”).
Details on how to participate in the Make Your Mark competition:
- Until 11:59 p.m. EDT on June 25, 2014, contestants can enter the Make Your Mark competition here.
- Once accepted to the competition, entrants will be asked to create a three-to five minute-short film that draws upon the storytelling and work of Saul Zaentz.
- Rules and creative specifications will be released on June 27, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. EDT and contestants will have 51 hours to complete their short film.
- Ten semi-finalists will be announced on or around July 29, 2014, and three finalists will be announced on or around August 25, 2014.
- The three finalists will collaborate with a distinguished PGA mentor to produce a further refined three-to-five-minute short film.
- The winning short and producer will be announced on January 24, 2015 at the 2015 Producers Guild Awards.
- The winning short will be highlighted in a :30 second Cadillac spot that will appear during the ABC broadcast of the 2015 Academy Awards.