I’m still waiting for several estimates to come in but it’s all Disney and Angelina Jolie at the box office this weekend. Driven by its family friendly PG rating and a large take from its Imax screens, “Maleficent” easily cruised into first place this weekend, grossing an estimated $68-71 million. The movie received an A Cinemascore and should enjoy a huge Saturday and Sunday, which might propel the picture close to, if not over, the $70 million mark.
Seth MacFarlane found out that dying is easy, comedy is hard, as “A Million Ways To Die” greatly under performed and will come in at only $16 million or so. It seems that moviegoers looking for a laugh preferred known quantities like “Neighbors” and “The Other Woman” than a comedy western starring the guy who directed “Ted”.
Elsewhere, “X-Men” dropped around 65-67%, leaving it in second place at $30 million or so, which is what I projected yesterday. “Godzilla” plunged again, which left it around $10 million. And “Blended” held in a bit better than I projected, rounding out the Top 5 at $8 million.
Here are the full Top 10 projections
1. MALEFICENT—DISNEY—$68-71 MILLION
2. X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST—FOX—$30 MILLION
3. A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST—UNIVERSAL—$16 MILLION
4. GODZILLA—WARNER BROTHERS—$10 MILLION
5. BLENDED—WARNER BROTHERS—$8 MILLION
6. NEIGHBORS—UNIVERSAL—$7.5 MILLION
7. MILLION DOLLAR ARM—DISNEY—$3.8 MILLION
8. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN—SONY—$3.4 MILLION
9. CHEF—OPEN ROAD—$1.8 MILLION
10. THE OTHER WOMAN—FOX—$1.6 MILLION