It’s been a long time but we finally (finally!) have a pleasant summer box office surprise. “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” got off to a rollicking start last night, tallying $27.7 million and an A- Cinemascore. Depending upon the World Cup effect and rain, the film should easily land at or above $70 million. Matinee grosses looked strong right out of the bat and the film continued to improve as the night went along. Its Thursday night haul of $4.1 million wasn’t exactly cause for rampant optimism but ultimately moviegoers saved their box office dollars for opening night. Great job by Marketing head Marc Weinstock and the guys in Distribution, led by Chris Aaronson and Spencer Klein.
As expected, Richard Linklater’s “Boyhood” was huge, with a take slightly over $100,000 from 5 theatres. That translates to a weekend in the $325,000 neighborhood, making it a legitimate indie smash that should definitely be heard from as Oscar season progresses.
Elsewhere, the Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo led “Begin Again” came it at slightly below expectations and looks to finish the weekend around $3 million, less than the $4.7 million I projected Friday, “America” rode right wing talk shows and an amped-up ad campaign to an expected $2.6 million weekend, which is basically a 3-4% drop from last weekend and Relativity’s “Earth To Echo” enjoyed a solid hold which gives it the upper hand in the battle for fourth position this weekend.
ESTIMATED BOX OFFICE TOP 10
1) DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES—FOX—$71.5 MILLION
2) TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION—PARAMOUNT—$16.2 MILLION—DOWN 56%
3) TAMMY—WARNER BROTHERS—$12.7 MILLION—DOWN 41%
4) EARTH TO ECHO—RELATIVITY—$6.0 MILLION—DOWN 28%
5) 22 JUMP STREET—SONY—$5.8 MILLION—DOWN 41%
6) HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2—FOX/DKA—$5.7 MILLION—DOWN 35%
7) DELIVER US FROM EVIL—SONY—$4.6 MILLION—DOWN 52%
8) MALEFICENT—BUENA VISTA—$4.0 MILLION—DOWN 33%
9) BEGIN AGAIN—WEINSTEIN—$3.1 MILLION
10) TIE JERSEY BOYS—WARNER BROTHERS—$2.6 MILLION—DOWN 49%
AMERICA—LIONSGATE—$2.6 MILLION—DOWN 3%