Second verse same as the first for “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” as the latest installment of the Apes franchise continues to roll overseas, scoring another $54.5 million, bringing its international take to $183 million. Holding steady in second is “Transformers: Age of Extinction”, which is now over $700 million, tallying $37.5 million this weekend, with “Hercules” debuting in third with $28.7 million, with several territories still to launch.
While those numbers (along with “How To Train Your Dragon” and its $24 million) certainly were impressive what is concerning however are the numbers below the top four as it falls off precipitously after that. It’s a long way down to “Godzilla” in fifth at $7 million and below, as the expected boost that the marketplace was looking to receive post World Cup has been slow to materialize.
INTERNATIONAL WEEKEND TOP 10
1) DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES—$54.5 MILLION—$183 MILLION CUME
2) TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION—$37.5 MILLION—$730 MILLION CUME
3) HERCULES—$28.7 MILLION
4) HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2—$24.0 MILLION—$260 MILLION CUME
5) GODZILLA—$7.0 MILLION—$259 MILLION CUME
6) PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE—$6.9 MILLION—$21 MILLION CUME
7) STEP UP: ALL IN—$6.3 MILLION—$18 MILLION CUME
8) SEX TAPE—$6.1 MILLION—$10 MILLION CUME
9) THE PURGE: ANARCHY—$6.0 MILLION—$6 MILLION CUME
10) MALEFICENT—BUENA VISTA—$5.2 MILLION—$482 MILLION CUME