Each Monday, we present you with the most up-to-date list of the top 10 indie movies in the iTunes store, combining rentals and purchases. For the second week in a row, Bong Joon-ho’s “Snowpiercer” sits atop both the indie films list and the top movies list. “Snowpiercer” distributor Radius-TWC made the noteworthy decision to release the movie on VOD platforms on July 11, just two weeks after its theatrical release. The experiment clearly paid off with the film grossing over $2 million in its first week on VOD (including iTunes).
Meanwhile, “They Came Together,” another film that is still in theaters, also made the list in the #8 spot. Note that the documentary “Mistaken for Strangers” is on sale as a 99 cent “Movie of the Week” rental.
Here’s the full list of top 10 indies in the iTunes store this week along with distributors and theatrical gross info (and VOD gross when available):
1. Snowpiercer (Radius-TWC, $3,458,00, theatrical; $2,006,438 VOD)
2, Under the Skin (A24, $2,572,228)
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel (Fox Searchlight, $58,890,644)
4. Bad Words (Focus Features, $7,779,614)
5. Rage (Image Entertainment, N/A)
6. Mistaken for Strangers (Abramorama, $138,991)
7. The Face of Love (IFC, $332,225)
8. They Came Together (Lionsgate, N/A)
9. Dom Hemingway (Fox Searchlight, $523,511)
10. Her (Warner Bros., $25,568,251)