BOI WEEKLY: WEEKEND INTERNATIONAL BOX OFFICE TOP 10
It was a two-man, uh two robot, uh robot & an ape race at the overseas box office this weekend as “Transformers: Age Of Extinction” continues its campaign across the globe with $81.2 million, nipping out “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” which grossed a very healthy $61 million. TFAOE now sits at a staggering $659 million overseas and shows no signs of slowing down now that the rest of the world doesn’t have to concern itself with Brazil’s porous defense, Argentina’s one-man show, or Germany’s incredible midfield. This is just further proof that most of the world wants the big Hollywood blockbuster extravaganza. Sure, some countries do go more for plot and performance driven vehicles such as this spring’s “Grand Budapest Hotel”, but for the most part, overseas audiences prefer to see stuff being blown up. Spare us the “message”, just give us more mayhem.
Elsewhere “Step Up: All In” opened in 10 markets to the tune of $10.3 million and “Planes: Fire and Rescue” accounted for a modest $9.0 million in 24 destinations.
INTERNATIONAL WEEKEND BOX OFFICE TOP 10
1) TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION—$81.2 MILLION—$659 MILLION CUME
2) DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES—$61.0 MILLION—$103 MILLION CUME
3) HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2—$14.0 MILLION—$225 MILLION CUME
4) STEP UP: ALL IN—$10.3 MILLION—10 MARKETS
5) PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE—$9.0 MILLION—24 MARKETS
6) MALEFICENT—$8.0 MILLION—$468 MILLION
7) BLENDED—$6.7 MILLION—$59 MILLION
8) THE FAULT IN OUR STARS—$4.6 MILLION—$127 MILLION
9) 22 JUMP STREET—$3.2 MILLION—$88 MILLION
10) SEX TAPE—$3.0 MILLION—9 MARKETS
Note: “The Purge: Anarchy” opened in 14 territories to a less-than-impressive $400,000