Lifetime plans to take a nostalgic look back at the 1990’s Saturday morning TV show via an original scripted movie titled “The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story,” which the network says will “delve into the experiences of six unknown young actors placed into the Hollywood spotlight, exposing the challenges of growing up under public scrutiny while trying to maintain the squeaky clean image of their popular characters both on and off-screen.”
Currently shooting in Vancouver, and the movie will premiere Labor Day, Monday September 1, at 9 pm PT/ET.
So what young actors have been cast to play the dual roles that include the fictional Zack, Screech, A.C., Kelly, Jessie and Lisa, as well as the real-life actors who portrayed them on the series?
– Dylan Everett (“Degrassi: The Next Generation”) is set to play Mark-Paul Gosselaar in the role of “Zack Morris.”
– Sam Kindseth (“Shameless”) is Dustin Diamond, and everyone’s favorite geek “Screech.”
– Julian Works (“Paranormal Activity,” “Modern Family”) fills the shoes of Mario Lopez, and as “A.C. Slater.”
– Alyssa Lynch (“The High Jumping Witch”) plays Tiffani-Amber Thiessen, who originated the part of “Kelly Kapowski.”
– Tiera Skovbye (“Supernatural,” “Girl in Progress”) takes on the role of Elizabeth Berkley and her series character “Jessie Sapano.”
– And finally, rounding out the cast, and maybe of most interest to this blog (given its stated mission) is Taylor Russell McKenzie (“Blink”) who will portray Lark Voorhies, and her on-screen persona “Lisa Turtle.”
“The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story” is produced by Front Street Pictures and Ringaling Productions Ltd. for broadcast on Lifetime.
The movie is executive produced by Harvey Kahn (“Flowers in the Attic”) and Stephen Bulka (“Dear Mom, Love Cher”).
The film is directed by Jason Lepeyre (“Restless Virgins”) and the teleplay is written by Ron McGee (“The Nine Lives of Chole King”).
So will this be on your must-see list when it premieres on September 1?
Here’s a sneak peek: