The real story of the weekend overseas was not four turtles, nor was it a talking tree and a potty mouth raccoon. Actually it was four British Gap Year college kids who venture Down Under on a neverending quest for debauchery. Ah yes…youth. “The Inbetweeners 2” was the highest grossing weekend of the year in the UK (yes you read that right). The movie may not land in my “Movies I Need To Remember Come Oscar Ballot Time” file but it’s hard to argue with an opening weekend of $21 million (granted it’s a five day number as the movie opened on a Wednesday), which beat out “Transformers: AOE” for the top spot for the year in Blighty.
Elsewhere “Guardians of the Galaxy” did win the International crown again this weekend with another $40 million. TMNT opened in 19 markets to the tune of $28.7 million, good enough for third place. “Into The Storm” debuted in 20 territories and its $8.3 million placed it 6th.
The complete Top 10 is below, along with full worldwide totals and % of WW gross from International. Trying to get the three days # on “In Betweeners 2” to determine where it places on the top 10. Will update.
RANK TITLE–INT’L WEEKEND GROSS—INT’L CUME—WORLDWIDE CUME—% OF WW GROSS FROM INTERNATIONAL
1) GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY—$40.1 MILLION—$137M INT’L—$312M WW—44% WW GROSS FROM INT’L
2) DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES—$29.5 MILLION—$308M INT’L—$505M WW—61% WW GROSS FROM INT’L
3) TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES—$28.7 MILLION—$28M INT’L—$93M WW—31% WW GROSS FROM INT’L
4) TRANSFORMERS: AOE—$17.4 MILLION—$789M INT’L—1,031M WW—76% WW GROSS FROM INT’L
5) HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2—$11.5 MILLION—$319M INT’L—$489M WW—65% WW GROSS FROM INT’L
6) INTO THE STORM—$8.3 MILLION—$8.3M INT’L—$26M WORLDWIDE—31% WW GROSS FROM INT’L
7) LUCY–$8.1 MILLION—$15M INT’L—$105M WORLDWIDE—14% WW GROSS FROM INT’L
8) HERCULES—$7.2 MILLION—$72M, INT’L—$135M WORLDWIDE—53% WW GROSS FROM INT’L
9) SEX TAPE—$5.8 MILLION—$25M INT’L—$61M WORLDWIDE—41% WW GROSS FROM INT’L
10) STEP UP: ALL IN—$5.8 MILLION—$26M INT’L—$32M WORLDWIDE—81% WW GROSS FROM INT’L