Gregg Araki‘s unique coming-of-age story “White Bird in a Blizzard” already has his distinctive imprint on it, but the film’s dreamlike atmosphere is aided by the music department. A couple of months back, we brought you a preview of Cocteau Twins member Robin Guthrie and avant pianist Harold Budd‘s score for the film, and today, we’re taking a look at the songs that power the official soundtrack.
Featuring, of course, Cocteau Twins, along with New Order, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, and Tears For Fears, the song choices mark out the very specific sound Araki uses to tell his tale. The inclusion of The Jesus And Mary Chain gives things a bit of an edge, while selections by Everything But The Girl brings the music toward the ’90s, and Ulrich Schnauss pulls the soundtrack into the new millennium. It’s clearly a soundtrack selected and programmed with care, and one that’s pretty much a ready-to-go mixtape.
“White Bird In A Blizzard” is now playing in limited release and is available on VOD, and the soundtrack arrives in stores on November 11th. Tracklisting and preview below.
“White Bird In A Blizzard” Soundtrack Tracklist
01. Sea, Swallow Me – Cocteau Twins and Harold Budd
02. Heartbreak Beat – The Psychedelic Furs
03. Temptation – New Order
04. Behind The Wheel (Beatmasters Mix) – Depeche Mode
05. Living In Another World – Talk Talk
06. Everybody Wants To Rule The World – Tears For Fears
07. Bring On The Dancing Horses – Echo and The Bunnymen
08. A Private Future – Love and Rockets
09. These Early Days – Everything But The Girl
10. It’s a Mugs Game – Soft Cell
11. Being Boring – Pet Shop Boys
12. Darklands – The Jesus and Mary Chain
13. Gone Forever – Ulrich Schnauss