The ingredients for YA franchises were set by “Twilight” and copied by everyone else: cast rising young actors in the lead roles, tell a dystopian/fantasy tale mixed with tortured romance, and then dump some indie rock on top to sell the feels. “Insurgent” continues to work with that playbook and the soundtrack details for the upcoming sequel have arrived.
Frankly, it’s a bit sparse, with Lionsgate clearly showing things were on a bit of a budget here. There are only seven songs (versus sixteen for “Divergent“), but M83 is back for another round, teaming with Taylor Swift‘s besties in Haim. Woodkid is also back, pairing up with Swedish chanteuse Lykke Li. The terrible Imagine Dragons inflict their work on everyone as well, with SOHN, Anna Calvi, and a couple more rounding out the package. It’s not exactly the most abundant mixtape, but superfans will probably still be pleased.
The soundtrack arrives digitally on March 17th, while the movie drops on March 20th. Full tracklist below.
1. “Holes in the Sky” – M83 with HAIM
2. “Blood Hands”- Royal Blood
3. “Never Let You Down” – Woodkid featuring Lykke Li
4. “The Heart of You” – Anna Calvi
4. “Sacrifice” – Zella Day
5. “Carry Me Home” – SOHN
6. “Warriors” – Imagine Dragons
7. “Convergence” Score Suite from “Insurgent” – Composed and Conducted by Joseph Trapanese