Adding to its Monday night original suspense series “Fatal Attraction,” TV One is launching a new hour-long series, titled “For My Man,” premiering on Monday, Sept. 7 at 10pm ET.
The series will tackle “the outrageous and shocking stories of women who have been arrested for a crime they committed in the name of love.”
As Piper Kerman, author of “Orange Is the New Black: My Year in A Women’s Prison,” testified at the Aug. 4 Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hearing, women – particularly women of color – are the fastest growing population in the criminal justice system. Many of them – of the more than 200,000 women behind bars per the Bureau of Justice Statistics – experienced sexual abuse and violence prior to their imprisonment. TV One’s “For My Man” shows real-life examples of this unfortunate trend, telling various stories of Black women who literally put their lives and freedom on the line for their men.
“Crime and justice storytelling is overwhelmingly popular with a wide variety of viewers and of particular interest to the Black community, which is disproportionally impacted,” remarked D’Angela Proctor, TV One’s Senior Vice President Original Programming and Production. “Every episode of ‘For My Man’ illustrates a love story gone horribly wrong and with a devastating outcome. News headlines report the aftermath of these scenarios, but ‘For My Man’ pulls viewers deeper into the narrative as the fairytale sours. After watching these stories, viewers may strongly question how far they might go in the name of love.”
Each episode of “For My Man” includes interviews of those closest to the events – family members, friends, witnesses, investigators and journalists – as well as psychologists, lawyers and when possible, the subjects themselves. The first season of ‘For My Man’ includes a vast array of true stories from throughout the country, including:
– Little Washington, North Carolina: Yvette Gay follows a married man into a murderous plot to kill his wife.
– Knoxville, Tennessee: Vanessa Coleman joins Letalvis Cobbins on a drug-induced, gun-pointing kidnapping of a couple.
– Tampa, Florida: Victoria Jackson’s ultimate act of betrayal against one of her own family members at the request of her jealous boyfriend.
– Tuscaloosa, Alabama: Felicia Scott’s homicidal tailspin when she is unable to bear her husband a child.
– Waukegan, Illinois: Debra Brown falls for serial child predator Alton Coleman and becomes one of the FBI’s Most Wanted fugitives.
– Wilmington, Delaware: Chakkira Wonnum escapes an abusive home and runs into the arms of a dangerous drug addict.
“For My Man” is produced by Sirens Media for TV One.
Valerie Haselton and Rebecca Toth Dienfenbach serve as Executive Producer and Anne S. Rothwell is Show Runner for the series.
Lamar Chase is Producer for TV One. Tia Smith is Executive in Charge of production and D’Angela Proctor is Head of Original Programming and Production for the network.