“Pacific Rim 2” is the blockbuster sequel that refuses to die. Even after numerous reports of its demise — most recently, last week, when Guillermo del Toro signed up to direct a remake of “Fantastic Voyage” — the filmmaker is holding out hope that it’ll get made. And once again, he says don’t give up on more robot smashing mayhem.
Taking to Twitter, del Toro stated yesterday, “Pac Rim 2 cancelled? Don’t believe everything you read. It’s still going and I’ll remain w it in one way or another!” So, does he have a reason to stay optimistic about the follow-up? Sort of.
Chinese conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group announced they have acquired Legendary Entertainment for a staggering $3.5 billion. To say it’s a major acquisition is an understatement, but it says a lot about the footprint Legendary has been making in the Eastern market. A few years ago, Legendary teamed with China Film Co. Ltd. to form Legendary East, also found investment from Japan’s SoftBank. All this to say, Legendary wants to be a player in that market, hence projects like the upcoming, Zhang Yimou-directed, Matt Damon-starring, “The Great Wall.” And the company well knows that “Pacific Rim” earned $111 million of its $309 million international box-office haul in, you guessed it, China. So, it’s not completely out of the question to pursue a follow-up.
Basically, we’ll see how it plays out, but “Pacific Rim 2” could still be on the horizon.
Pac Rim 2 cancelled? Don’t believe everything you read. It’s still going and I’ll remain w it in one way or another!
— Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) January 11, 2016