While the physical home video market is increasingly dwindling as a revenue stream, it’s nonetheless an important one for studios. But it seems they are content to continue with practices that drive customers bananas, such as splitting up exclusive content to specific retailers, and that trend continues with “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”
READ MORE: ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Deleted Scenes: Darth Vader’s Error, ‘Empire Strikes Back’ Flashbacks, And More
Disney has announced today (via Variety) that the film will hit digital download on April 1st (no joke) and then Blu-ray on April 5th. And if you do plan on owning a physical copy, you might want to head to Target. In addition to the extras which will include the full cast table read of the script and deleted scenes, the retailer will have twenty minutes of exclusive content, which according to their site, will include “a never-before-seen interview with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, and a deeper look at the movie’s weaponry.” So if that floats your boat, you can pre-order it now.
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” is still in theaters if you want to see it one more time on the big screen. As for the extras for the regular retail edition, they are detailed below and you can check out a new trailer too.
- Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of The Force Awakens, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this feature documentary.
- The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script.
- Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars universe.
- Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life.
- Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren.
- John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars andThe Force Awakens.
- ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.
- Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has united Star Wars fans all over the globe to help others.
Sign Up: Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Sign up for our Email Newsletters here.