The new “Ghostbusters” film will enter theaters this July, but it’s already received plenty of backlash from various Internet circles based on early promos. The trailer for the new film was recently voted as one of the most disliked videos in YouTube history. While many of those down votes are probably from people who don’t like the idea of female characters in their beloved film properties, as well as those who had other more reasonable objections, star Melissa McCarthy recently spoke out about how the early promo clips were “very confusing.” In an interview on “The Johnjay & Rich Show,” McCarthy addressed some of the issues surrounding the trailer, acknowledging that “it’s weird that [the trailer says] ’30 years ago,’ but in this movie it’s like the first one didn’t happen,” officially confirming that the new film is a reboot and not a remake.
McCarthy continued that the story in the new film is basically the same as the original. “It’s a great story but told totally differently. It’s the same thing of four unlikely heroes, it’s in New York city, ghosts are taking over. It’s the same classic story, but it’s not a ’30 years later,'” She then revealed that she had raised questions about the trailer beforehand.
McCarthy recently starred in last year’s global smash comedy “Spy” and this year’s “The Boss” opposite Kristen Bell. Directed by Paul Feig (“Bridesmaids,”), the new “Ghostbusters” film stars McCarthy, Kristen Wiig (“The Diary of a Teenage Girl”), Kate McKinnon (“Saturday Night Live”), Leslie Jones (“Top Five”), and Chris Hemsworth (“Thor”). It’s set to be released on July 15th.