Fans have been worried about the upcoming “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” film ever since reshoot rumors surfaced. Now, after talking to deeply placed sources who work on the movie and Lucasfilm, Entertainment Weekly is setting things straight.
Here are five things we learned from their article:
1. The movie will have four to five weeks of reshoots: They will begin this month and end days before the “Star Wars” Celebration event in London on July 15. This schedule was already set in place before a single scene was shot. “It’s standard practice now for large-scale films to build in additional weeks of shooting so filmmakers can tweak a movie after the first assembly cut,” EW reports.
2. The reshoots are not epic battle scenes: “The changes have everything to do with clarity and character development and all take place [as inserts] within scenes we’ve already shot,” said one source. The reshoots were moved from spring to mid-summer to allow director Gareth Edwards and the team to have more time to decide what they wanted changed.
Those scenes aren’t big battles, just “a lot of talking in cockpits,” an insider described.
3. They are not rewriting the movie: “If we were rewriting the movie and reshooting 40 percent of movie, we would not be finishing in August,” another source on the production told EW. “People really would be panicking – and changing the release date.”
4. It’s tough to get cast members scheduled to reshoot: “It is a complicated schedule trying to pull people in around other things they’re doing,” the source said. “And this cast is spread out all over the world.”
5. One new team member has been added: Tony Gilroy (“The Bourne Identity” franchise) has been brought on board as a consultant to offer notes on the first cut and write some additional material to enhance the story. He is well trusted by Kathleen Kennedy and will assist Edwards as a second unit director when cameras start rolling again.
And lastly, another source asked the “Star Wars” community to believe in them and notes that “people will go insane” when they see the footage they will unveil at the Celebration next month.