Today, South by Southwest has announced its first group of speakers for the 2017 event. The diverse array of speakers cut across tech, entertainment, and journalism, but all reflect SXSW’s spirit of championing emerging talent.
The 2017 speakers include two keynotes from Jill Soloway, creator of Amazon’s original series “Transparent,” and Jennifer Doudna, co-inventor of CRISPR-Cas9, a groundbreaking new technology for editing genes. Soloway will be a part of the Film conference and Doudna for the Interactive conference.
Other speakers for the 2017 conference include Dan Lyons, author of the New York Times best-seller, “Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-Up Bubble,” and a former writer on HBO’s “Silicon Valley”; Adam Savage, internationally renowned television producer, and former host of “MythBusters” and “Unchained Reaction”; and Nadya Tolokonnikova, political activist and member of punk rock group Pussy Riot.
Along with these speakers, SXSW has expanded access for all badge types in 2017. Attendees will still receive primary entry to programming associated with their badge-type, but can now enjoy secondary access to most other SXSW events. Regarding this change, SXSW co-founder Ronald Swenson says, “When SXSW Music added Film, and Interactive, it was relatively easy to understand and differentiate between the three components of music, film, and technology. Today, these elements are very much intertwined and the lines that once separated them have become blurred. The popularity of our convergence programming, and the increasingly cross-industry nature of our SXSW speakers and registrants make this a natural progression as we look to the future.”
The festival will run from March 10th through 19th in 2017. SXSW will open for registration and press accreditation on August 1st at the SXSW website. Below you can find the complete list of the first wave of speakers
- Mary Lou Jepsen – Founder and Chairman of Openwater, whose goal is MRI resolution imaging in a wearable, previously held executive roles at Facebook, Oculus, Intel, and Google
- Dan Lyons – Author of the New York Times best-seller, “Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-Up Bubble,” and a former writer on HBO’s “Silicon Valley,” which had its world premiere at SXSW
- Earvin “Magic” Johnson – NBA legend, professional sports team owner, entrepreneur, philanthropist, motivational speaker and Chairman and CEO of Magic Johnson Enterprises
- Candice Morgan – Head of Diversity at Pinterest, leading strategy and programs to enhance diversity and inclusion
- Adam Savage – internationally renowned television producer, host (formerly MythBusters and Unchained Reaction), maker and public speaker
- Nadya Tolokonnikova – Russian conceptual artist, political activist and member of punk rock group Pussy Riot
- Ingrid Vanderveldt – Self-made businesswoman, investor and media personality, Founder & CEO of Empowering a Billion Women by 2020
- Gary Vaynerchuk – Entrepreneur, four-time New York Times best-selling author and CEO of VaynerMedia. Gary is also a prolific angel investor and co-founded VaynerRSE, a $25M investment fund
- Amber Venz Box – Co-Founder and President of rewardStyle and the cross-channel consumer shopping service, LiketoKNOW.it.