Sebastián Silva’s “Captain Dad,” the scheduled follow-up to his 2015 drama “Nasty Baby,” chronicles a family vacation gone awry when plans don’t go as scheduled. Now it’s looking like that same premise is happening in real life for the Chilean director. According to The Hollywood Reporter, just days before production was set to begin, the film’s lead, Will Ferrell, has dropped out of the comedy.
Also starring Michael Cera and Catherine Keener, “Captain Dad” was scheduled to begin filming on September 26 in and around Cartagena, Colombia, and Ferrell’s exit as the titular character has now left Silva and producers trying to figure out what’s next. Per the story, several members of the cast and crew are already in Colombia waiting to hear what the next steps will be.
There is no word on why Ferrell departed the project, and it’s unclear if producers can get the movie moving forward without him — though reps for the film stated that they are working to quickly fill the role and hope to continue production soon.
Silva previously faced controversy when “Nasty Baby” was rejected by the Toronto International Film Festival in 2014 due to the film’s ending.
“Toronto basically emailed back and they said they would consider it if we changed the third act of the film,” the director told IndieWire last year. It later debuted at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival, where it won the Teddy Award for best LGBT-themed feature.
Ferrell can next be seen in James Franco’s “Zeroville,” and it was recently announced that he would reteam with John C. Reilly for “Holmes and Watson,” a comedic take on Sherlock Holmes.