The “Deadpool” sequel has just lost director Tim Miller, who dropped out of helming the project due to creative differences with star Ryan Reynolds. Deadline reported the news early Saturday, stating that Miller had not formally signed on to direct the sequel, but was in the process of developing the script and was expected to return.
Sources told the site that the split was amicable and he will work on another big Fox project: “Influx,” an adaptation of Daniel Suarez’s novel and is expected to launch a film trilogy.
The “Deadpool” sequel isn’t scheduled to be released until January 12, 2018, but now the studio will have to find a new director to take the reins. Fox co-chairman Stacy Snider confirmed during CinemaCon in April that screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick would return to pen the script. No other actors, except Reynolds, have been confirmed to reprise their roles.
“Deadpool” became Fox’s biggest hit of the year, grossing $782 million worldwide on a $58 million budget and breaking box office records including highest grossing R-rated film ever. The sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek film revived Reynolds career and gave a new spin on the superhero movies seen recently.
Fans had been begging for a “Deadpool” film after seeing the leaked test footage in 2014. Reynolds attributed the film getting made because of the fans positive response to the clips, saying he would have leaked the footage if he had known it would have caused that much buzz. “Honestly, we all thought Tim Miller, the director, had leaked it. But I have since investigated that enough, in quiet moments when he was beyond the point of being penalized by anybody, and he said that he really didn’t do it,” he told Yahoo! Movies last year. “Now, we get to make the movie. We don’t get to make it with the budget of most superhero movies, but we get to make it the way we want to make it.”