Period and fantasy always have an advantage over contemporary in the Oscar costume universe. The Costume Designers branch, more than many others, is often willing to go their own way (remember winner “Priscilla: Queen of the Desert”?) They may not care if World War II spy thriller “Allied” did badly at the box office, or if everyone else seems to love “La La Land.” They just look at the clothes.
But given that this year Mary Zophres designed both “La La Land” and “Hail, Caesar!,” the advantage may go to the Best Picture contender.
Frontunners (ranked in order of likelihood to win)
1. Madeline Fontaine (“Jackie”)
2. Mary Zophres (“La La Land”)
3. Colleen Atwood (“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”)
4. Consolata Boyle (“Florence Foster Jenkins”)
5. Joanna Johnston (“Allied”)