Back to IndieWire

U.K. Man Dies After Getting Head Stuck in Reclining Movie Theater Seat

The tragic accident occurred earlier this month at the Vue cinema complex in Birmingham, United Kingdom.

People in a Vue Cinema on the reclining electric seats.Reclining electric seats at Vue Cinema, UK - Dec 2015

People in a Vue Cinema on the reclining electric seats.

Geoff Robinson Photography/REX/Shutterstock

A man in Birmingham, United Kingdom died after getting his head stuck in the footrest of a reclining movie theater seat. The Birmingham Mail first reported the freak accident, which occurred March 9 at the Vue cinema complex at the Star City entertainment center.

According to reports, the man dropped his phone in between two seats and bent down to pick it up, only for the electric seat’s footrest to clam down on his head. The man’s partner realized he was stuck under the footrest and called for help. Movie theater staff and other moviegoers tried to get his head out from under the footrest but they struggled to set him free immediately.

After the theater’s staff broke the chair to free the man, he suffered from cardiac arrest and was taken to Heartlands Hospital. Paramedics successfully restarted his heart, but the man died several days later due to effects from the accident.

Vue International said in a statement: “Following an incident which took place on Friday, March 9 at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening. We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday, March 16. A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing. Our thoughts and condolences are with the family who have our full support and assistance.”

The Birmingham City Council has started a health and safety investigation, reports The Guardian.

Sign Up: Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Sign up for our Email Newsletters here.

This Article is related to: Film and tagged

Get The Latest IndieWire Alerts And Newsletters Delivered Directly To Your Inbox