It’s that time of year again — and no, we’re not talking about Thanksgiving stuffing and holiday shopping. Top Ten lists will overrun every entertainment news site, personal blog and Twitter feed for the next six weeks.
That bastion of film history and cinematic sophistication Cahiers du Cinema has published its best-of-the-year list already, below. Some of its choices are somewhat predictable (Ferrara, Carax), and some, as always, strain credulity (we know he’s Coppola, guys, but “Twixt,” really?).
READ MORE: 2013 Oscar Predictions
See how the CdC’s judgments match up with your favorites from 2012, and click through to each film’s Criticwire page to see how Indiewire’s own network of top-tier critics and reviewers feels about them.
2. “Cosmopolis,” David Cronenberg
3. “Twixt,” Francis Ford Coppola
4. “4:44 Last Day on Earth,” Abel Ferrara
5. “In Another Country,” Hong Sang-Soo
READ MORE: The Best Indie Movies of 2012 So Far, According to Criticwire
6. “Take Shelter,” Jeff Nichols (actually released in the U.S. in 2011)
7. “Go Go Tales,” Abel Ferrara (actually released in the U.S. in 2011)